Fly Tying
Crackleback

July 2013 Flies From The Vise

Thanks!

How about a

instead?

Kimo

Thank You! I watched it...wondering how you finish tying off the post loop?

Thanks!

How about a

instead?

Kimo

Thank You! I watched it...wondering how you finish tying off the post loop?

Believe it or not you don't need to. Haven't had a problem with it coming loose.

Just pull it thru to stack the hackle and trim the tag.

Kimo

Here's a fun tutorial that I completed with my uncle, John Cammisa, who is 82. He's been tying for over 40 years and has taught me quite a few tricks along the way. He really enjoys tying the Humpy, thus I had him tie one for YouTube; enjoy!

TC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekgjQVS14gE

I love all of the video post that you've made, Clear,clean and to the point. This was my favorite though,I hope in 42 more years I'm still tying like your uncle John.

Hey guys, never really tried irish shrimp type ties....this one is the bishop shrimp, wondering piker20 or crackaig might know more about these, it sure looks like it will swing to me, ratty long jc but it should work? Oh this one is a size seven.

post-29540-0-95439300-1375296523_thumb.jpg

That looks great. Some folk tie all three hackles as long as your tail one, not so they all meet the tail but all long. Others tie front and back long and middle shorter. I prefer those.

That looks great. Some folk tie all three hackles as long as your tail one, not so they all meet the tail but all long. Others tie front and back long and middle shorter. I prefer those.

Sweet tips! I did ruin the ribbing but just cranked 2 more out that i am very happy with, so i may try longer at the front! You guys hitch these? Thanks for that! Back to the bench!

Not hitched traditionally but not never. You can also aim for a fatter back end tapering to the head.

Ok i will swing it just like a spey and see what happens! Something new, i might also look up a few more and try them out as purple over here is seldom used in a salmon fly, more a steelhead colour.

I may have been watching too much of the UK show we get here 'the game fishers diary'. :)

For the tail on the Irish shrimps you can use the brown centre hairs from buck tail as a replacement for the GP Body feather. The great thing with this is you can have all the colours you like.

Thinking about it that is the first time I have ever seen one on a single hook.

Cheers,

C.

Hi Crackaig, i was going to ask about that like will these swim okay on a single? Some places here is single only, hmmz i better swing them before going any further as i was kind of questioning such a long tail with a load of hackle. A couple more quick crappy ones...also do they raise fish!!??

post-29540-0-06017500-1375314171_thumb.jpg

Here's a fun tutorial that I completed with my uncle, John Cammisa, who is 82. He's been tying for over 40 years and has taught me quite a few tricks along the way. He really enjoys tying the Humpy, thus I had him tie one for YouTube; enjoy!

TC

I love all of the video post that you've made, Clear,clean and to the point. This was my favorite though,I hope in 42 more years I'm still tying like your uncle John.

Thanks; I really appreciate the comments and will certainly pass them onto my uncle. He is definitely an inspiration and was actually nervous when tying that pattern. It's tough to believe that he's 82 and still tying on a consistent basis (sometimes more so than me!). Thanks again!

TC

Steelhead soft hackle (ish?) flies. Size 10 mustad salmon hooks, ringneck pheasant rump hackle, mirage opal tinsel body with fluorescent pink UTC thread underneath, and a puff of different color dubbing.

post-45233-0-78469100-1375321151_thumb.jpg