Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

The revamped 55g Peacock tank

As you know I had a disaster a few weeks back when I lost my entire 55g peacock tank to a power outage while on vacation. After revamping the tank with live plants, black sand and a whole new stock, it's been back up and running for a couple weeks now. Figured I'd take some pics now that everyone is settled in and fully colored back up in their new home. I've also been dosing the tank with Florish Excel and the plants seem to be doing really well so far, and surprisingly no one seems to be trying to eat them yet which is good.

qry4.jpg

4q80.jpg

v0w6.jpg

lpty.jpg

nvx8.jpg

3g66.jpg

nm98.jpg

7xqm.jpg

wg99.jpg

drwd.jpg

utwy.jpg

q6sg.jpg

rc3i.jpg

zi84.jpg

lbxf.jpg

yep that looks good. Are you planning any solar or wind backup supplies for your tanks in case of future trouble?

I bought a generator back in January for just such an occasion like what happened, but as luck would have it I was on vacation when it went out so was not here to start the generator up.

Sounds like next time you need to hire a fish sitter, also the look in these fishes eyes say 'i am gonna dig every plant up in this joint every night' especially that goofy sideways one, i don't trust him at all :)

Those are beautiful fish, and the tank as well, I really like the black sand. Are those fish a type of cichlid Steve?

Yep, Peacocks are a type of Cichlid from Lake Malawi in Africa. The cool thing about them is that they are only found in the one lake and no where else in the world.

The "home" I work in has auto generators..that being they kick on when there is a power interuption over a certain length of time...propane powered...nice way to go if you can do it...

Murray

then he needs an auto feeder too, when going on vaca..

Nice setup, beutiful fish, saw a special on them. Are they very expensive to buy ??

Yep, Peacocks are a type of Cichlid from Lake Malawi in Africa. The cool thing about them is that they are only found in the one lake and no where else in the world.

That's really interesting, ill bet that would be a Great Lake to scuba dive in. I take it they are all males with colouring like that.

Ooooooo !!!

Live plants !!!

Black sand !!!

COLOR !!!

I am truly sorry you lost the original fish ... but I REALLY like the new look !!!

then he needs an auto feeder too, when going on vaca..

Nice setup, beutiful fish, saw a special on them. Are they very expensive to buy ??

I actually do have some auto feeders for each of my tanks that are batt powered. Weren't cheap having to buy 5 of them but something I had to have. They aren't cheap. The ones I have now average about $40-$50 each at most good fish shops. Luckily though I bought all these from a couple members of a local cichlid club I am a member of and got them for about $20 eachso I saved a ton of money that way.

That's really interesting, ill bet that would be a Great Lake to scuba dive in. I take it they are all males with colouring like that.

It really is Lance. I've seen some picture of the lake from people on one of that fish sites that have dived in it and it's amazing the see all the fish schooled up in areas.

I am truly sorry you lost the original fish ... but I REALLY like the new look !!!

Thanks Mike. I hated losing my original ones, but these are really amazing though I like these as well.