Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Big Game Poppers

Some poppers of varying sizes. The pink/red one is intended for Shark or other large predators. It is on a 10/0 4x strong gamakatsu hook!!

f1f00465-7fbc-404b-ac9f-469881767f2c_zps

612549e1-2734-4385-8fdf-df58710b7f09_zps

04679490-f7b0-445a-88e7-39247c104abf_zps

SAM_1618_zps380480d1.jpg

They look terrific Ben - wanna borrow my 14wt?

Hey man, where the hell are you going? The suspense is killing me.

Im coming to see you!!! You didnt get the message? Haha

Im going to San Diego. Ill be fishing for Mako's as well as Dorado and Yellowtail. The shark fly will be attached to a 16wt aka BROOMSTICK.

I always tie way too many flies and leave a bunch with the guide. Its kind of like a business card. If they work out he knows where he can get them :-)

Hey, you SHOULD be coming to see me. My next-door neighbor made three runs out to Norfolk Canyon this week, and he got a lot of fish. Plenty of dolphin here, white marlin, sharks, wahoo, tuna, etc. BTW - I'd pay to see you with a 16wt. Better make sure you're far enough offshore so nobody can get a picture of you rupturing yourself. And be careful unhooking those mako, or you'll be changing your screen name to MichiganOneArm. Good luck - we'll be awaiting a report.

Hey, you SHOULD be coming to see me. My next-door neighbor made three runs out to Norfolk Canyon this week, and he got a lot of fish. Plenty of dolphin here, white marlin, sharks, wahoo, tuna, etc. BTW - I'd pay to see you with a 16wt. Better make sure you're far enough offshore so nobody can get a picture of you rupturing yourself. And be careful unhooking those mako, or you'll be changing your screen name to MichiganOneArm. Good luck - we'll be awaiting a report.

LOL. On my tarpon trips fishing a 13-14wt was a trip. Its a LOT of rod. Luckily with the Mako's I dont think distance is critical, more placement.

Ill leave it to the guide to unhook them. I happen to like both my arms. Plus itd be quite a feat to fly fish with one arm.

Plus itd be quite a feat to fly fish with one arm

the double haul would be tuff but a real man could handle it. I would never make it though. .....Many years ago Orvis sold some LARGE popper. They had a good bunch of saddle hackle for the tail and I believe the body was made from Styrofoam. The body would probably only last for one fish but what the hey. It was for big fellers....Those are some nice looking poppers.

Many years ago Orvis sold some LARGE popper. They had a good bunch of saddle hackle for the tail and I believe the body was made from Styrofoam. The body would probably only last for one fish but what the hey. It was for big fellers....Those are some nice looking poppers.

You can also make them out of the hard foam that goes into lobster pot buoys, which is tough stuff - I get mine by walking the beach after storms, but I expect the pickings would be a bit slim in Tennessee. You might try roped-off swimming areas; all you need is a moonless night and a sharp knife, and you'll be fixed for life. (or 30 days if you get caught)

Now PJ....you know very well that we don't have roped off areas for swimming in TN. We just go to the local creek swim'in hole and swing out on a rope while screaming like Tarzan......a real bud would collect all the pot floats he could find and send some to all his land locked saltwater fish'n buds.

How easy is it to work the foam from the buoys? Using a dremel or is it too tuff? Plenty of these about in my beaches.

The foam is not bad to work with and the dremal tool makes sort work of it. For the one's on the beaches I all ways pick then up and use it on the next one. I have one guide that bring the popper back to be re-done. This is help with his cost and the fly gets bet up before it gets lost. The fly is a tube and on sailfish it slides up away from the hook. I have try to make from deer and cut but it dose not pop the same.

My poppers are all made from a 2 part foam. It is incredibly hard but extremely light. To give you an idea I can hit the popper with a hammer and it will still be fine. Occasionally it will crack, but generally not through. Its the best way I came up with for commercially making them. I can crank them out pretty quick.

Thanks Flat Rock! Both of these were purchased by a guide out in California known for Shark Fishing.. Im hoping to get some success pictures from him!