Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

FTF Fly Challenge

OK, here is my version. I thought I'd try to "salmonize" the venerable Wooly Bugger and give a more flowing look.

user posted image

First attempt at this tie while watching the Eagle / Falcons game. It's modeled after a post I looked at a few days ago. I didn't bookmark the pattern and I searched today and couldn't find it. Maybe some can set the link in a reply here.

You tie up a bugger on a long shank, clip the off the hook point and tie it to the mother hook with a mono loop. His looked better but beauty doesn't matter to them slimmy brown bass. I wonder if there will be an earthquake in PA if the Steelers win? biggrin.gif

user posted image

Here's a pic of my glass bead bugger, with my secret home blended dubbing (Angora). Fairly quick to tye, and I also do them in grey, root beer, olive and smi-transparent. I'm going to do 20 of these for the bugger swap and I can honestly say that I have caught many rainbows, browns, bass and one Atlantic salmon with these buggers.

user posted image

Graham

Hey Graham, coupla questions...

Does that glass-bead bugger tend to ride hook-point up?

Do you put the dubbing in a loop and wrap up/between each bead, or just loosely/tightly dub between each?

Looks good!

TroutBum: very nice! I might try a couple of those, but the only salmon and steelhead in Kentucky are in the frozen aisle. rolleyes.gif

graham,

I tie a similar fly, though I use az simi seal dubbing, usually brown or black w/ matching marabou tail. it's a good fly.

mgj

Hey Rob, The hook stays down. I blend the dubbing, use a thread dubbing loop, spin it up, yes, the thread winds over the beads, but I follow up with a wire palmered very tightly, which secures the thread. I can post pictures of my other colors. If I only had one fly to fish with I would probably choose one of these buggers. Still water and moving, north America and south.

Graham