Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
todvan

Fly Rod Size Choice

I am looking to add a small stream trout rod, which may also occaisionally be used for bluegill.

I already have a good general purpose 9 foot 5 wt. I am considering building this rod and have narrowed it down to a choice between:

7'6" 4 wt. vs. 7'9" 3 wt. (which I would like to overline with the 4 wt line - better for short casts in small streams?)

Let's here your opinions! Thanks!

Each company's blanks are rated a tad different, which is bad because it makes it hard to compare one companies 3wt to anothers 4wt etc etc. So better question is what blanks (Batson, Pac bay, M<atrix etc) is the two you are looking at and I can probably give you a better idea of how they compare to each other if you tell me that.

I have two TFOs one a 7'6" 3 weight and one a 7'9" 3 weight. Both are delights to fish. Building a PacBay two weight though and will probably get rid if them when I get it done.

Thanks for the replies. Steeldrifter - I am leaning towards the Batson RX7 blanks - 4 pc, but would consider 2 pc if they cast better.

You wont notice a difference between a two piece and a four piece more than likely. You would have to be an exceptional caster to do so.

The RX7 (Rainshadow) is a great little blank, nice and light with good power and a pretty crisp tip recovery on it. Since you already have a 5wt and you are looking at Rainshadow blanks then I would suggest going with the 3wt IMO. Reason being you will not notice "that" much of a difference between the 4wt and 5wt so going with the 3wt will give you a bit more range/difference amongst the rods you own.

Far as difference between 2 to 4pc....Years ago there was a nocticeable difference, but in the past decade ferrule technology has come so far that you really can not tell a difference in this day and age. So just choose what packs/works best and don;t worry about the number of pieces.

Steve

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the 4 pc, 7'9" 3 wt. I'm sure I will like it for small streams and am hoping that it has enough crispness to use for medium length casts out of a kayak for bluegill sometimes.

Tod