Fly Tying

This is one tool that I will actually spend money on instead of trying to find the best deal. I use Dr. Slick scissor clamps with an eye poker. This setup is 3 tools in one, hemo, line cutter, and eye poker for about 20-25 bucks depending on where you shop.

My wife works in Sterile Processing and I get all the hemostats, clamps, scissors, picks, etc. that I could ever dream of, for free.

Forget hemostats. Get a Catch um Release and learn to use it. Beats a hemostat any day of the week.

Sundance ... are you talking about the Orvis Ketchum-Release?

That's a good hook remover, but it can't do anything else.

I'll take my hemostats any day. One tool that does just about everything I need stream side ... including hook removal.

Love my surgical hemostats, straight. I have curved but don't like them as much. Can't get them for free at the hospital, without stealing them. They seem 'single use' but actually get collected, sterilized, and repackaged.

Love my surgical hemostats, straight. I have curved but don't like them as much. Can't get them for free at the hospital, without stealing them. They seem 'single use' but actually get collected, sterilized, and repackaged.

Why go for repackaged disposables.

The absolute best hook remover is a plastic surgery needle holder with a diamond jaw insert. The smooth jaw with a diamond coating will grab a hook in any position without twisting. Unfortunately they cost as much as a descent fly rod,

32-0405.jpg

... Unfortunately they cost as much as a descent fly rod,

That is reason enough! Have yet to lose a pair in the river, but I know I will if I buy ones that nice (not a fan of attaching it to a zinger either). I don't have the disposable ones, actually a rather nice pair of medical hemostats.

This is one tool that I will actually spend money on instead of trying to find the best deal. I use Dr. Slick scissor clamps with an eye poker. This setup is 3 tools in one, hemo, line cutter, and eye poker for about 20-25 bucks depending on where you shop.

I use this too. on my third one, (lost a couple), but like them.

I have an older German hemostat that my sister, a nurse, gave me over thirty years ago. They just lay around on my desk now so that I don't take the chance of loosing them and I keep a small cheaper one clamped on my vest. Most of the time I don't use them because the fly isn't hard to remove but sometimes the fish take them deep and you have to reach in and get it out. If I had some like the ones that Silvercreek posted then I would probably have a log chain attached to them so that I wouldn't loose them.

I was a plastic surgery resident before I switched specialties. I don't have the diamond jaw version but the I do have the tungsten carbide insert version that I use in my fly tying kit for de-barbing hooks.

Here's what a good pair of the tungsten carbide ones cost.

http://www.medicaldevicedepot.com/Sklar-TC-Ryder-Needle-Holder-p/21-80ss.htm?1=1&CartID=0

You can get an off brand on Amazon for much less.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayo-Hegar-Stainless-Tungsten-Carbide-Inserts/dp/B0015US3BM

I was a plastic surgery resident before I switched specialties. I don't have the diamond jaw version but the I do have the tungsten carbide insert version that I use in my fly tying kit for de-barbing hooks.

Here's what a good pair of the tungsten carbide ones cost.

http://www.medicaldevicedepot.com/Sklar-TC-Ryder-Needle-Holder-p/21-80ss.htm?1=1&CartID=0

You can get an off brand on Amazon for much less.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayo-Hegar-Stainless-Tungsten-Carbide-Inserts/dp/B0015US3BM

Those prices are just stupid !!! No wonder medical costs are extortionate at best !!!