Fly Tying

Newbie here looking to outfit my vest and was wondering what type hemos you guys prefer to use for removing hooks, curved or straight?

i prefer barbless hooks. then theres not much need for hemostats

but

either one.

its your choice

I prefer straight ... but only because I've never owned curved. I get mine at the flea market for a buck each, and they usually last a season or two. I've been using the cheap ones for decades, and I think I might have as much money into all of them as a "good" pair from a name brand.

I have both, and I prefer the curved. I used to have a pair of flat jawed (straight) that I really liked as well. They were a bit heavier and could be used to pinch a barb, if needed, as well. Either will help you get the fly out of a deeply hoked fish with less damage.

Ask your friendly doctor, might be different over there with having to pay for everything but here the tools have all moved over to single use but still stainless steel and I get my forceps for free that way. Very fine cause they are meant for sutures etc.

I have about 1000 hemostats. Any physician that does angiography using disposable instruments can get you as many as you want.

I did angiograms for many years before retirement. Hospitals routinely use single use disposable instrument kits containing a needle holder, suture scissors, curved hemostat and straight hempostats. After use they are thrown away. It is cheaper to use disposable kits than to use surgical quality instruments that are cleaned and sterilized. After use I had the techs soak them in a solution that kills all viruses and bacteria. When used for fishing, they do not need to have all traces of tissue proteins removed that could cause an adverse allergic reaction in patients.

I give the instrument kits to those that take our TU courses.

If you know anyone that works in a cardiac or radiology angiography, they may be able to get all the instruments you want.

Many companies sell them to hospitals

http://www.bamford.co.nz/uploads/file/pdfs/Defries%20Single%20Use%20Instrument%20packs.pdf

http://www.cityscapeglobal.com/directory/library/product/doc/46e3cd04-7a5c-4485-90c2-6df52c620cde.pdf

I use the curved, mainly cuz my wife works at a dental office, and gets them for nothing. I do, however, paint them a flat green or black so they don't reflect sunlight dangling on my vest.

I've been checking around and getting used instruments from medical facilities will be almost impossible here in the States.

Reason 1: The increasing emphasis on recycling. The tools are no longer thrown away, they are sent to specific recycling companies that melt them down.

Reason 2: Due to all the diseases that exist now, the tools are closely monitored until disposed of, either through recycling or destruction. In today's "sue happy" environment, anyone who got one of those used tools could have grounds for a lawsuit. And no, being your "friend" will not prevent them from suing you if they stand to make lots of money from it.

So far, I've not been able to find a single source for used medical instruments, of any kind.

A lot of the instruments used in a dental office are used more than once, and VERY thoroughly sterilized after each use. I would think that would be true in a lot of medical offices. I asked my wife about this, and she said (she's been a hygienist for over 30 years) that there should be absolutely no problem with used (sterilized) instruments. After all, they use them on other patients after sterilizing. I have quite an array of dental tools useful for tying scattered around on my desk.

There probably is some law about selling used instruments on the books somewhere, though. Otherwise, you should be able to buy used instruments all over the place.