Fly Tying
eastern fly

2014 January Bait Fish Swap

I have all but two sets to get. Christopher K and captain are not here yet. I'm going to PM them and give them a few days. If I don't hear from them I will ship without them.

Mike I got your flies. MAN you did good. I need tying info on these. Love the crayfish, don't forget that one either.

Kevin

The bait fish I did is like the lovechild of a hallow fly and a flatwing. Basically it goes.....buck tail, white neck hackle curving up on top of that, then chartreuse flashabou with a grizzly saddle curving down on top of that. Then chartreuse flat braid half way down the hook. After the braid there's a bundle of buck tail tied reverse with another grizz saddle and flashabou on top of the buck tail. The front half is red UV polar chenille then reverse bucktail/grizzly saddle/ flashabou again but the saddle is chartreuse and the flashabou is purple. Finally jungle cock eyes all on a #1 TMC 600SP in case anyone wants to throw it at anything salty.

The craw is a fly I've been working on and I'm not 100% sure which variation I sent you. But it's something like this.

Back hook: Gamakatsu B10S #2

Tail: UV polar chenille and a pair of rubber legs

Body: Estaz or cactus chenille

Carapace: Magnum zonker

Claws: Same but you cut it down the middle to get an even left and right. The base of the claws are glued to 2mm craft foam to help keep them spread.

Legs. Schlappen

Front: 25mm articulated shank, zonker over estaz. I cut the zonker to a taper.

Medium dumbbell eyes.

Some of them I made had mono eyes, some had rattles on the back hook. I know yours was weighted with dumbbell eyes but I also did a couple a tungsten scud body for weight

Nice job Mike. I will have copies of both of these soon. Do you use spey flies? I'm going to try them for bass and trout this year. I have tying some.

Kevin

I've used the spey fly design to tie some smaller flies that should be good streamers for trout or panfish. Pretty little things using all the dressings of a spey but just reduced in size. Crackleback, you baitfish sounds rather elaborate. When I try to get into that many materials I end with this huge head on the fly so one the ones I did with 4 different Craft Furs I just made the head big, put big eyes on it, then surrounded it all with UV Soft to lock the eyes and the head in for durability in case someone actually fishes them.

I have tried to make contact with the last swapper but got nothing. I will ship all the flies this weekend. The ones I have to pay for I will PM you to let you know what the cost was.

Kevin

I seen on captaing's page he hasn't been on since mid Nov. I think that will be a loss. I'm waiting to hear from Christopher K.

Kevin

hey kevin, sorry for not getting back to your message on the 5th, i have relocated and have been quite abit the last couple months.

regarding the swap, i messaged you back in november that i would be unable to participate, i sent a pm the a copy of our conversation from my inbox.

hope the rest of you have a good swap, sorry for any inconvenience

I got you PM. I forgot all about it sorry. I didn't get to put all the flies in the mail sat. I do have time in the morning so they will be on there way home tomorrow. Thanks everyone for another great swap.

Kevin

Mail had a great package today...with .25 postage due... Our Post Mistress didn't charge us for them tho since she was the one who forgot it was going up and she's just a nice person anyway.

Great flies one and all. If I ever get my boat registrations straightened out I plan to use some of the bigger ones for stripers and wipers and a local reservoir and the smaller ones will go in with the trout streamers box. That little black and green tailed guy might be a killer on some big spring 'gills. Thanx for hosting and thanx to all for another great set of flies.