Fly Tying
Randyflycaster

Recommendations for Inexpensive Magnifying Lamp

Hi Randy,

Gretchen uses the goggle-type things that slips on her head then can be flipped down in front of her eyes/glasses. She got them from a medical supply house. I think they are used by dentists, etc. She's tried several different things and unfortunately for her the less expensive magnifiers caused unwanted distortion; you tend to get what you pay for. The magnifiers she uses are made by a company called Donnegal ???. Take care & ...

Magnification is a tough topic. Common sense tells you if you can’t see where you are putting the materials and thread wraps you can’t tie flies. Yet many people in my fly tying classes would try and try to tie without being able to see when a thread wrap pulled the upright and divided wings - that had just perfectly set in place - right down into the dubbing – never to be seen again.

So I bought a dozen, clamp onto the table edge, magnifiers. They were cheap, had a thin metal rim around them, a stem that was just a little short and were welcomed by all who were having trouble seeing their wraps. They were welcomed but universally ignored and set out of the way when tying.

“Why” I asked. And I got answers like “it’s in my way” or “sure, I can see the wraps but I can’t prep my materials under it so I have to move it” or my favorite “when I can see how badly I’m tying I get discouraged.” Up until that time I didn’t use a magnifier. I have 20/20 corrected vision with my glasses and seemed to get by well enough.

But I wanted to get to the bottom of “Why” the magnifiers weren’t being used. So I started tying with one. What a pain. All the stuff they said was true and worse. The thing that bothered me the most was if I wrapped thread my hand would go in and out of focus – I couldn’t watch myself wrap without getting seasick.

Now I tie with a magnifier most of the time. What changed? The lens changed.

First the in and out of focus problem.

It turns out when they grind a lens then can make the focus distance from the lens vary. So for an example let’s say whatever you are working on is in focus say from 5 to 6 inches away from the lens. If you grind the lens a bit differently whatever you are working on is in focus say from 5 to 9 inches away. Usually the stronger the magnification the narrower the “in focus” range. So I found a lens that had a deep “in focus” range and that seem stopped the requirement for motion sickness medication whenever I tie.

Second the, it’s in my way problem.

This one is sort of the same as the “I can’t prep my materials” under it. The answer to that – for me anyway – was a bigger lens. That just doesn’t sound right does it? The answer to “it’s in my way” just shouldn’t be go with a bigger lens – but it is.

A 5-inch lens with clear edges (no distortion) allows you to use the upper half of the lens to focus on your hook and the bottom half for prepping materials. It took me awhile to tumble onto this. And it’s not just a bigger lens it’s a bigger lens with no rim that’s the answer. The rim just takes away part of what you gain by going bigger.

Like most people when I pulled my lens into place I “centered” the hook – a perfect bullseye. Wrong move. It seemed right when I first did it but it wasn’t. Instead now my hook is “centered” in the lens from left to right but not vertically. I swing my lens into place and arrange the lens so that when I glance at the hook the hook is in the top 1/3 of my lens. This placement of the lens allow me room to prep materials because I’m NOT prepping them BETWEEN the hook and the lens – instead I can hold the material below the hook a bit towards me and have room in the lens to see what I’m doing. (hard to explain in print but using the top third of the lens for the hook work and leaving the bottom available for prepping gives you working space but you do need a 5-inch or better lens)

All these things helped and keep me using my magnifier instead of just swinging it out of the way and letting it collect dust. Additionally, the use of a magnifier instead of headgear or reading glasses means that when someone walks into the room or I have to glance at a book I don’t have to remove my headgear or glasses to see them or the book properly. All these little things add up. So where did I find my wonder lens. At Giraffe Lamps. I bought this system:

iso-96.jpg

But I found many who came into my shop weren’t willing to spend the dollars for a Giraffe system and after a bit of looking around I found these. People liked the cost and the quality of the lens.

86.jpg

Daylight has these onsale now for $30.00 – they were $50.00

http://us.daylightcompany.com/product/flexilens-on-base-white/

I encourage you to visit a local flyshop (if you're fortunate enough to have one) and take a look at these. A lot of shops carry Daylight and Giraffe lamps. If not order one from someone who allows returns. If your experience is like mine you won't send it back but it's nice to know you can.

Excellent write up Mr Rotary. When I wrap guides when building my rod I need magnification. I am using my el cheapo harbor freight magnifier with helping hands that I use for soldering.

While I haven't started fly tying yet your example above really makes sense. Thanks!

A lot of folks have trouble using one of those lamps with the large magnifying glass in the middle - including me. Tried it for a while, but it really messed up my depth perception. I've been using drugstore reading glasses for years now with no problems. You can get them with quite high magnification. The only problem with those is that you have to look over the top, or take them off, to see the stuff farther away from your vise. But really not a problem.

I use an OTT light & wear a head strap magnifyer that Harbor Freight sells for $8....takes up alot less space on the tying bench

I have a an Ott light brand light with the magnifier that swings and the harbor freight head strap magnifier, use them both what I use the most is a pair of reading glasses I found at the dollar tree for a buck they are like a 4.25 strength.

I just recently started tying and took a keen interest in this thread.

I had a powerful reading light on a floor stand with a goose neck laying around already. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on lights if I didn't have too. I went with the reading glasses for $14 and they've made a world of difference.

My eyes need to adjust their focus when I take them off, but I am getting used to it.

I was in electronics for 25 years and used helping hands and magnifying lamps, but I like the freedom and field of view with the glasses better. If I am reaching for a tool or material I don't have to swing my head or a light out of the way to see.

In any case, the glasses worked for me.

I'm 53 years old and wear contact lenses to correct my nearsightedness. In recent years, my near vision when wearing my contacts has really deteriorated. I tried a ring light/magnifier and didn't care for it. It was a very nice one that came from a precision manufacturing facility that was upgrading/modernizing their equipment. A friend of mine worked there and was able to get one of the older ones being replaced.

Now, I use a Verilux lamp (very much like an Ott) and cheap "cheaters" from the drug store (or take out my contacts and wear bifocal eyeglasses).

I think having a high-quality lamp eliminates about half the need for magnification.

Tight lines,

Bob