Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Classic Bass Lure Swap

Here's what I might be tying. It's a prototype of a deer hair version of the scum frog lure. It's tied on a 4/0 owner worm hook which should make it ride point up like the lure. Still needs some testing/tweaking. Stacking hair around that bend was interesting to say the least.

-Mike

Very nice!

Here's what I might be tying. It's a prototype of a deer hair version of the scum frog lure. It's tied on a 4/0 owner worm hook which should make it ride point up like the lure. Still needs some testing/tweaking. Stacking hair around that bend was interesting to say the least.

1nju.jpg

-Mike

Nice work! Way to set the bar high for the swap! :)

-Mike

And you're a good reason why I didn't enter this swap. That is a beautiful tie and one that I wouldn't want anything I'd try sitting next to. Spinning hair is my next goal. Will work on it this winter. I've received some fantastic deer hair flies in some of the swaps and wish I could return something like that. You REALLY have set the bar high on this one and look forward to pics on this swap.

As long as we're showing prototypes, let me show you my Rat-L-Trap fail...

Despite the weight added, this thing floated like a cork. ...back to the drawing board.

Tim

As long as we're showing prototypes, let me show you my Rat-L-Trap fail...

attachicon.gifratltrap.jpeg

Despite the weight added, this thing floated like a cork. ...back to the drawing board.

Tim

Nice try on the Rat-L-Trap! I was thinking of giving that pattern a go if I had time left over after I finish my Hula Poppers. You've definitely got the profile right--could you maybe coat the body material (looks like x-large body tubing?) with epoxy or Clear Cure Goo to get it to sink?

Yep, it's large Mylar Piping. Between the rattles and the lead, I thought I could overcome the buoyancy of the foam underbody. I think I'll have to create a foam "frame" and then coat in epoxy, like you said. This is in the experimental stages, because even if it sinks, it may not wobble when retrieved. If it is successful, I'll probably add marabou fins for some extra movement.

Tim

For the record, I plan on doing a Jig-n-Pig or Spook, in addition to the attempt at a Rat-L-Trap.

Xrayts, how much weight did you use, are you using a 1/64 oz jig head? I would think that would be enough weight to get it down.

Blane

Xrayts, how much weight did you use, are you using a 1/64 oz jig head? I would think that would be enough weight to get it down.

Blane

32 wraps of .020 lead wire. I used the smaller diameter wire to keep the profile thin. I need to eliminate some foam.

This is in the experimental stages, because even if it sinks, it may not wobble when retrieved. If it is successful, I'll probably add marabou fins for some extra movement.

I had that same thought about the wobble when I was brainstorming ways to do a RatLTrap. If you look at an actual RatLTrap lure, it is football-shaped in profile just like your fly, but the sides of the lure don't meet in a single edge at the top and bottom. The edges on the lure look to be about 1/8" wide. I wonder if it's that flat surface that provides resistance and causes the wobble when the lure is pulled through the water.

Another thing to consider - you have the placement of the hook eye correct, I'd say, but on the lure, that tie-on point is not a fixed ring like the eye of the hook, but rather a loose ring that's passed through an opening that's molded into the plastic body of the lure. I think that construction is probably crucial to the wobble of the fly, as well. If that makes sense...

Good luck with it!

The edges on the lure look to be about 1/8" wide. I wonder if it's that flat surface that provides resistance and causes the wobble when the lure is pulled through the water.

You made me research the physics. :D Apparently, the flat surface on the front is somewhat of a "lip", and would be essential to the movement. The width of my attempt is correct and I did attempt to create that flat surface, but it wasn't as flat as the lure. I doubt it will have the correct action as it is. Hmmm...

not a fixed ring like the eye of the hook, but rather a loose ring that's passed through an opening that's molded into the plastic body of the lure.

I figured it could just be tied on using a mono loop.

Thanks for the input,

Tim

The edges on the lure look to be about 1/8" wide. I wonder if it's that flat surface that provides resistance and causes the wobble when the lure is pulled through the water.

You made me research the physics. biggrin.png Apparently, the flat surface on the front is somewhat of a "lip", and would be essential to the movement. The width of my attempt is correct and I did attempt to create that flat surface, but it wasn't as flat as the lure. I doubt it will have the correct action as it is. Hmmm...

not a fixed ring like the eye of the hook, but rather a loose ring that's passed through an opening that's molded into the plastic body of the lure.

I figured it could just be tied on using a mono loop.

Thanks for the input,

Tim

Good points both. My knowledge of physics begins and ends with what I can glean from watching "The Big Bang Theory" on tv. :) You seem to have a good handle on it - I'm excited to see what you end up with!

Prototype of my Hula Popper fly...it's a bit rough yet and I will be using different colors and eyes made for fly tying for my swap flies, but I am encouraged...

We're 35 days out from the deadline for this swap (February 1) as of today--plenty of time to get your 5 flies tied and mailed. Everyone should have my mailing address; check your PMs. Hope you have all had pleasant holidays and are enjoying some quality time at the vise. smile.pngpost-36073-0-32871400-1388282380_thumb.jpg