Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Classic Bass Lure Swap

SWAP IS FULL!

Have you ever wished there was a fly fishing version of the Zara Spook, the Jitterbug, the Rat-L-Trap, the plastic worm or some other classic bass fishing lure? Well, here's your chance to make it happen!

Let's keep it to 6 swappers, since I'm guessing some of these flies might end up being a little more complicated, depending on how creative we decide to get with them.

Rules are as follows:

1) your fly has to be a reasonable facsimile of a well-known or "classic" bass lure or bait. All the ones mentioned above are fair game, or any other that's generally well known. It doesn't have to be an identical replica, but it should closely mimic the general look and action of its hardware or soft-plastic counterpart.

2) your fly has to be a WORKING version of the lure it mimics--in other words, it has to be possible to actually cast and fish your fly on a fly rod.

3) anything goes for materials--beads, propellers, spinner blades, rattles and the like are all allowed, but all materials must be mounted directly onto the hook shank, since that's primarily what differentiates a fly from a lure. No dangling hooks, in other words.

Since the holidays are coming up, I'm thinking February 1 for the deadline--that way, even if you don't start until New Year's Day, you still have a whole month to get your flies in.

Standard swapping practices apply - send me your finished flies in a container that will withstand shipping both ways, along with enough return postage to get them back to you. Toe-tag your flies with your name and the pattern's name. Once the swap fills up, I'll PM everybody with my snail mail address.

I'll do a Hula Popper. First five to respond with "I'm in" get the remaining spots. Who's with me?

1. Bryon Anderson - Spinnerbait

2. Xrayts - Deer Hair Torpedo - RECEIVED

3. Crackleback - Scum Frog RECEIVED

4. Rifflesteelheadslayer - Jitterbug

5. Rich MC - Ultimate Worm Fly RECEIVED

6. Jolly Red - Rapala Floating/Diving Minnow RECEIVED

I'm in. I'm going to browse through my bass boxes to see what I should replicate.

Awesome! Just one more slot to fill. If nobody takes it by Monday morning, we'll roll with 5, if everyone is cool with that. Forgot to ask before - do we want to do one or two flies per swapper? Either way is fine with me.

I'd like to try this, I will try to do a Rapala floating/diving minnow. I think one of these per tyer will be plenty to get done over the holidays.

All right gentlemen, we are full. I agree with Jolly Red that one fly per tier is plenty in light of the holidays coming up. Let's go with that, as it will reduce the stress and allow us to focus on quality over quantity. So we'll each tie 5 flies, and we don't get our own back. Deadline is February 1, 2014. I will PM each of you with my snail mail address momentarily. This is going to be fun!

In a rare moment of lucidness, I left this swap alone. I'm not sure how to do any of the things you plan on, tho more than any other swap I would love to see a pic later of the finished products. Might get a few ideas I can make work but sure would love to see how others tackle the problems of lures/flies.

Here's what I might be tying. It's a prototype of a deer hair version of the scum frog lure. It's tied on a 4/0 owner worm hook which should make it ride point up like the lure. Still needs some testing/tweaking. Stacking hair around that bend was interesting to say the least.

1nju.jpg

-Mike

PROTOTYPE? ok I'll happily take all your test pieces if they look like that. That should look awesome flipped over some Lilly pads.