Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
captkenroy

DIY Chennille/Estaz bobbin.

I hate to waste high dollar fly tying materials. Here is a little gizmo that makes using Chennille a lot more cost effective and easier too.

These bottles cost about .25 each at craft stores and a package of foam ear plugs don't cost much either, I think the photo is self explanatory.

The function of the foam ear plug is to provide tension on the chennille.

post-50879-0-81825700-1385820640_thumb.jpg

Nice, creative invention! I also leave mine on the card but it is a pain to wind the chenille while it is on the card and cutting it does yield waste.

Speed, cost, convenience and no twist are the benefits. You can let go of the holder and it maintains tension on the Chennille. if you drop the card, it unwinds.

Of course, I tie only large flies. I can't remember the last time I tied anything smaller than a #6 even for Bluegills.

Nice little gizmo, I think I already have several bottles around someplace. It would work for yarn, and other bulky materials as well.

if you drop the card, it unwinds.

No not correct. Unwind 2-3 inches of chenille and put it back in the slit in the cardboard

That is a fabulous little idea there. I love all the ideas people come up with on here, creativity abounds on this site.

Blane