Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Small Baitfish Pattern For Big Spooky Winter Fish

Andy posted a picture of a pig trout not long ago that he caught on a craft fur minnow, it got me thinking… Casey Smartt ties a killer glass pattern that will catch any thing that swims and is uber easy to tie. This version is tied with a small craft fur tail and dubbed angelina fiber head.

I love this fly for backwater areas in the winter and along the shoreline in spring and summer.

post-27925-0-00423900-1388542381_thumb.jpg

Sweet flies. What size hook you using?

About a week ago I found a few big trout on some flats here in East central Fl and they were very spooky. Never got so much as a look, even cast twenty feet in front and waiting till they cam e to fly before moving it only to see them do 180s.

The water is almost gin clear now and very little grass making sight fishing exciting.

I'll be interested in the hook size as well... Down here I routinely use Crystal Schminnows (mostly #2 or #4, occasionally as small as #6...). Yesterday we caught and released three small snook on a #2 when nothing else got bit at all (very long day, ran over 70miles into the backcountry and back... not my best performance at all). Here's a pic of the version I tie up, wire weedguard and all...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-37306600-1388594869_thumb.jpg

Sweet flies. What size hook you using?

About a week ago I found a few big trout on some flats here in East central Fl and they were very spooky. Never got so much as a look, even cast twenty feet in front and waiting till they cam e to fly before moving it only to see them do 180s.

The water is almost gin clear now and very little grass making sight fishing exciting.

That sounds like a blast! I'm in the same spot you were when you had your knee done, no fishing… 3-4 month to go and I'll be a fishing machine, so many flies and so little time.

They're tied on mustad size 4, I've been on a small fly tying binge…

That's a heck of a haul Bob, there are days you hang a juicy prime shrimp on a fishes nose and not get a second look. I think fish keep score the same way we do, you know the rules biggrin.png

I dig me some Crystal Schminnows, they produce on multiple species for me both bay and gulf.

PR, those look great! wub.png

I can envision them being productive here in warmer waters! Generic type baitfish patterns are what I like best & that looks like something that could imitate a variety! Thanks for posting them! smile.png

Awesome flies Dave! Where did you get the angelina fiber? a craft store? Looks great. Did you use a dubbing loop for the head?

Ben, the craft fur minnow I tie is similar to yours with the reverse tie-ins but I only do them on top and add a straight tie-in on the bottom so the profile is a little different. If you want a really bulky profile, tie the same fly with Polar fiber instead of craft fur, makes a great bulky baitfish. I even done some with polar fiber and a fish skull to get them deeper. The possibilities are endless but these types of flies are incredibly effective.

craft fur minnow

post-18514-0-94512700-1388765380_thumb.jpg

polar fiber with fish skull

post-18514-0-61392300-1388765433_thumb.jpg

It's a minnow palooza! Big fish eat little fish, right?

Fibers: http://www.embellishmentvillage.com/store.php?cat=21

Casey Smartt Flies: http://caseysmartt.com/2009/11/15/smartts-glass-minnow/

Great looking flies, gotta love craft fur.

I could use some pictures of fish…The only fishing I see is on T.V. and all I can do is tie flies. Little help?

Nice job on the flies Dave. Those craft fur minnows are also deadly on false albacore and striped bass. Here's a source for Angelina fiber that's a lot cheaper than you can usually find it. (prices are for a full ounce) I suspect it's the same stuff you find in expensive "flavor of the month" blends. I use a lot of it; it really sparkles in the water.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/hippiechixfiber/search?search_query=Angelina+Fiber&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search

Here's a source for craft fur. Note the size of the pieces they sell - they're twice the size of the ones you find at Michael's, etc.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/everafterfabrics?ref=seller_info

Yeah, both of those sources are the best I've found. It's interesting that you can get Angelina for $5.50/ounce on Etsy, when Embellishment Village gets $5.50 for a half-ounce. Yikes! I mean, I'm all in favor of making a buck, but better my pocket than theirs. A full ounce is a LOT of material. I should have mentioned that you have to check the pile lengths on the craft fur. The longer stuff (usually labeled Mongolian) appears to be the same as Polar Fiber at a much better price. If my next bank job goes well, I'm gonna buy out the store.

Gee Peterjay..I am shocked to see you commenting on small streamers. I know how you are partial to them big mama jamas.