Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DAiello

Ice dubbing in bulk

Hi does any one know where I can buy ice dubbing in bulk bags. Not the small packs. I am looking for bulk bags of ice dubbing in peacock, black, and some other colors. Any one knows it will be well appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know about actual " ice dub" but some Angelina fibers are very close to ice dub if not the same as it. You can find it in some hobby stores and online. Actually I think there was a thread about it a few months ago here.

I have a large box of clear/pearl fibers that when dyed pretty much look/feel/dub like ice dub. It came from the load of dubbing we made the kits from in the classifieds. Its the Angelina fibers people are talking about. I think the box is labeled Crystalina.

Dying it black looks like a dark peacock, and a dark green comes out a nice peacock color... I used Rit dyes for the stuff I made up...

I'd be happy to send you a sample of the raw color, and some of the dyed so you can check it out.. if the raw stuff works out for you I'll make you a good deal on a big bag of it and you can dye it up yourself (pretty easy on the stove top).

phair_ahair.jpg

BTW, this isn't some commercial thing I'm doing. A buddy and I scored a large lot of dubbing recently and I literally have a 2 car garage full of dubbing I need to get rid of. My wife is getting annoyed by the dubbing... lol

A buddy and I scored a large lot of dubbing recently and I literally have a 2 car garage full of dubbing I need to get rid of. My wife is getting annoyed by the dubbing... lol

Score? Good God...

I use Ice Dub a lot, even on big flies, and most of the time a package lasts a long time. Jason- I might be interested in a bag of your clear/pearl dubbing, I will PM you.

Would not anyone tying for profit would be looking to go "legit" and be able to buy materials at wholesale prices and quantities?

Anyhow, The Mad Scientist said in his last newsletter he will have an Ice Dub type material available soon, and if his past materials are anything to compare to, the quantity will be large and the price will be great.

I love the flytyersdungeon stuff... I've got hordes of congo hair here in white when he was blowing them out cheap... they make awesome dubbing brushes for Game Changer style flys when mixed with a little super fine crystal Angelina fibers...

game_changer_congo-angelina.jpg

Jason jones thank you. I private messages you. Also thank you to everyone else. I heard about that dubbing but never tried it.

I got the samples of dubbing Jason sent me, and they are top quality.

Fibers seem to be longer on average than Ice-Dub, and just a bit coarse in texture. Ice-Dub varies in texture quite a bit as well, so Jason's dubbing is suitable for a wide range of uses. The pearl/white/clear has a lot of nice metallic type tones in it and the colors are really nice.

Got some Angelina from another source (straight, not crinkled) in hopes that it was a replacement for Ice Wing (long strand Ice Dub) and it is much thicker than what I wanted. While Angelina might be the same stuff, sounds like it is cut much wider than Ice Dub in general. YMMV.

Thanks for posting up about the fibers JS.

whatfly & all...

So there are different "sizes" of Angelina both in length and in fiber width...

About mid way though this thread and sending out many samples, I dug through my kit and found an old bag of actual branded ice dub that I had squirreled away. The fibers I sent you guys are more coarse than the actual ice dub for sure.

I had a chance to go through my garage-o-dub boxes and I found another box of Angelina, this stuff much finer, and when compared to the bag of ice dub I have here its almost a perfect match when dyed...

So unfortunately I sent everyone that asked the coarse stuff (except the last 2 guys I think I included the finer stuff as well)... I'm out of stamps, but if anyone wants a sample of either the course or the finer stuff you can send me a SASE and I'll get it back to you.

Generous offer Jason and thanks but what I'm much more interested is where I can get Angelina in the right diameter in sufficient bulk. There are places you can get the material in sheets which I guess if one could find a means of cutting it easily and accurately to the correct width that might solve the problem, but I was hoping for a much more off-the-shelf solution. At the moment, Hareline is still the best source in my mind.

whatfly, you can get it directly from them in any length and width, but you need a minimum order that it quite substantial from what I understand.

About mid way though this thread and sending out many samples, I dug through my kit and found an old bag of actual branded ice dub that I had squirreled away. The fibers I sent you guys are more coarse than the actual ice dub for sure.

Jason, I have a drawer full of Ice-Dub packets, and across the color spectrum it varies quite a bit in texture- the pearl seems to be very fine textured packet after packet, even those bought a few years apart, while several of the other dyed colors approach the texture of your material. The material itself is probably the same, or very close, just cut differently.