Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Flashback nymphs?

I always use pearlecsent for trout, but I'm sure there are many colors that would entice warm water fish. Try a few colors, I'm thinking, red, orange, chartreuse, etc., and see what works best for you. As they say, let the fish decide.

I use a lot of different colors. Try using strands of Krystal flash for a different look. Your imagination is the only limit and experimenting with different materials is the key to creative tying. I have even tied some with a wing case of Loco foam. A strip of mylar coated with head cement and then sprinkled with glitter and then more head cement to seal makes a very interesting effect. Just cut loose and tie and the fish will tell you what really works.

Rick, I don't tie a lot of Flashback style nymphs, but as far as flash colors go, agree with the others about variety particularly for warmwater fish. I really like the holographic flashes, and pearl too. You might also consider some of the UV flash materials. No wrong or right to it. I would think in terms of water clarity, as some colors show up better with different degrees of clarity. For some tidal waters I fish, since they have a tannic stain to them, I really like black, blue, gold, copper, bronze & chartreuse all in holographic flash. Plus, I won't hesitate to mix them or add some pearlescent flash into the mix which IMO is good in any water. I also feel that with Flashback type flies, the coating used can amplify the affect of the flash, so I coat the flash portion with epoxy or some other durable clear finish on any I tie. smile.png