Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Goats

Beadalon

Is Beadalon a good wire product to use for articulated predator (Esox) flies. I came across some in the tool box. It's (0.18"/.46mm) gauge(?) 7 strand bead stringing wire.

I use a 7 strand .020 DIA wire for some of my articulated flies, never had a failure.

Lately I usually just use 40lb spectra braid, I find it easier to work with but the wire is nice if you need some stiffness.

Unfamiliar with that pattern, but Beadalon is what Kelly Galloup uses for his articulated patterns. The more strands, the more supple the wire, so I prefer 19 strand which is about 26# test at .018" (not sure for 7, probably less than that, think you are missing a digit in your diameters), which is fine for the patterns I tie. Supposedly, Beadalon is just repackaged American Fishing Wire, so check their site for breaking strength. I also use 30# Fireline or PowerPro, but for different types of patterns. The difference is if you are just creating a connection between two bodies wire works best for me, versus trailing a stinger hook in a flexible body, which is when I prefer Fireline/PowerPro. YMMV.

Yep it should be fine as a bite leader. It doesnt take kinks badly either which is a bonus. I have used 7 strand and 49 strand bite leaders and anything around .28mm is going to be strong enough to land a beast of a fish.

Yep it should be fine as a bite leader. It doesnt take kinks badly either which is a bonus. I have used 7 strand and 49 strand bite leaders and anything around .28mm is going to be strong enough to land a beast of a fish.

I tested it knotability (sp) and it was pretty good. I may try it as a leader too once the leader material I'm using runs out.

I never use beadalon for Musky or Pike, Ive had them bite through it one too many times. I only use 90 lb surflon wire. Some may think its excessive..but when you lose a 50" musky because of biting through wire you tend to change things up a bit.