Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ridgerunner9

Advice for beginner-that's me.

Tomorrow,Saturday,I am attending an Orvis fly tying Class for beginners. Can anyone offer advice on what tools and materials to bring home? Maybe nothing. I do want good quality tools. I know materials will vary depending upon the specific fly or nymph. Sources?

You probably should ask the instructor your question. He would be able to help you choose whatever tools you want to buy.

Do they expect you to bring tools? Since it is for beginners, maybe they will provide you with the basics.

Pick up on what the people at the event like and do not like. Obviously Orvis branded tools will be pushed down your throat. They're typically good quality but don't get fooled- remember that simpler is usually better. Talk to the people running the show. Hopefully they will be honest, down to earth types who won't want to use YOU as a tool to make a few extra dollars.

As for materials, get some 3XL hooks in size 8, some grizzly strung saddle hackle, a couple colors of medium chenille (regular chenille, not anything fancy) and a spool or two of 6/0 thread. Learn to tie very simple woolly worms and do it until you can make each one as near to perfect as possible. This will teach you thread control, material handling, how not to crowd the eye of the hook, and basic winding of body material and hackle. Everything from a simple trout-pellet (brown chenille on a hook) to the fanciest full-dress salmon flies and bass bugs are built on these basic bits of knowledge.

There is no magic in fly tying--- solidify the BASICS in your brain, and the rest will come in time.

Well, since you're going to a fly tying class, you'll probably be told what you need and pitched to buy Orvis stuff, since it's an Orvis class. Orvis tools are very good, but you can probably do as well for a lot less than Orvis charges.

You should be told what you need to bring. Maybe vises will be supplied.

I'm no expert but anything I've gotten from Orvis has been top notch. Of course Orvis will be pushed just like any other company who offers free classes, it's to be expected. Don't be afraid of Orvis products just remember there are others.

Where do these classes happen? I've never heard of any around where I live in the SE USA....would really like to attend one.....oh well.

Where do these classes happen? I've never heard of any around where I live in the SE USA....would really like to attend one.....oh well.

Both the stores in the Dallas area offer tying classes. And the local Bass Pro also does fly tying on Saturday morning.

Make a couple of phone calls - you might be surprised.