Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KOKOEK9

illegal materials

It really depends on the animal, some things can be bought, like jungle cock, but only with a permit. Others like eagle are completely illegal to possess.

Cabela's I believe it was had jungle cock capes a few years ago. I bought one, didn't need a permit. I think they were farm raised.

It really depends on the animal, some things can be bought, like jungle cock, but only with a permit. Others like eagle are completely illegal to possess.

Cabela's I believe it was had jungle cock capes a few years ago. I bought one, didn't need a permit. I think they were farm raised.

Ya, in that case they have to sort the paperwork out, but believe me, it's still there.

I bought some mongoose hair from a very well-known fly shop in Michigan a few years back -- it's colors are perfect for the tail on an Adams, finer and stiffer than hackle fibers and it saves me the hassle of stacking 3 clumps of brown and grizzly hackle fibers. I used it for a couple of seasons, started to run low and tried to buy more, only to find there was none to be had. I'm assuming it became illegal to possess right after I bought mine. I plan to use it until it runs out. It's not like I can give it back to the mongoose...

You can legally purchase real seal dubbing in Canada, just don't get caught bring it across the boarder.

Same with Cuban cigars.

You try and get caught, a mistake you wish you never made.

This is a really touchy subject. I've spent hours on the phone with the USFWS about buying migratory birds from hunters. I run a small business and wanted to purchase some waterfowl skins - absolutely not! They are protected under the migratory bird act. I can't even trade for them. I would have to apply for a permit from the USFWS to do this. I'm also a Hareline dealer and in their catalog you wouldn't believe all the fur and feathers that require a permit. It is up to Hareline to keep the records and for me to track my purchases. In this day and age, it's not easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, anymore.

AK Skim said above that you can still get seal fur in Canada. This is true - W.W. Doak & Sons carry it but will not sell it out of the country.

You can legally purchase real seal dubbing in Canada, just don't get caught bring it across the boarder.

Same with Cuban cigars.

Much the same cabelas will not ship things such as bucktail to Canada, across the border is supposed to be only domestic animals, goose, pigs, chicken etc. not saying it cannot be done but paperwork must be done. Pretty much the reason 0% of my natural tying materials come from USA. It is a trade off as i can use as much heron and polar bear as i like.

Same with Cuban cigars.

Much the same cabelas will not ship things such as bucktail to Canada, across the border is supposed to be only domestic animals, goose, pigs, chicken etc. not saying it cannot be done but paperwork must be done. Pretty much the reason 0% of my natural tying materials come from USA. It is a trade off as i can use as much heron and polar bear as i like.

Luckily bucktail is not a hard item to find in our shops :) BTW, seals fur is found in every fly shop up here, as is polar bear :D

Also note that possession of a feather from a song bird such as a blue Jay or Cardinal is federally restricted. They are protected nation wide as song birds. Along with many many others. Can't even pick up a feather from the ground.

Steve

Also note that possession of a feather from a song bird such as a blue Jay or Cardinal is federally restricted. They are protected nation wide as song birds. Along with many many others. Can't even pick up a feather from the ground.

Steve

I have to say Oh Canada again as eurasian jay is completely fine to have and use here *grin*

Steve

I have to say Oh Canada again as eurasian jay is completely fine to have and use here *grin*

Eurasian Jay is legal in the USA also. You can get it from Mike Vogue ether. At least that's where I got mine

Birds protected in Canada

http://www.ec.gc.ca/nature/default.asp?lang=En&n=496E2702-1

Steve

Eurasian Jay is legal in the USA also. You can get it from Mike Vogue ether. At least that's where I got mine

Birds protected in Canada

http://www.ec.gc.ca/nature/default.asp?lang=En&n=496E2702-1

yup

Miaassa hairs should be illegal to tie with in any country but I send all mine to Canada to avoid issues with the EPA.