Fly Tying
AK Skim

Wet Flies

I like the wing shape on the second one. However, that wing would be better adapted to a dry fly pattern in my opinion. There's not too many subsurface insects with fully formed wings like that. It may not make any difference but it's just an opinion. To make an assertion that this pattern is Bergman-eske is a bit of a stretch but that's OK I guess. We all stretch the rules here.

Since the vast majority of the wet flies in Bergmans books were tied with fully formed wings (not necessarily imitative of any insects,) I think your flies are a nice modern approach. I like the sparse and lacy look they have.

I like the wing shape on the second one. However, that wing would be better adapted to a dry fly pattern in my opinion. There's not too many subsurface insects with fully formed wings like that. It may not make any difference but it's just an opinion. To make an assertion that this pattern is Bergman-eske is a bit of a stretch but that's OK I guess. We all stretch the rules here.

That is the best part about tying, you can do as you please, rules or "No Rules."

TheRayBergmanCollection-HatchesMagazine.

The Ray Bergman Collection - Hatches Magazine.

Ok thanks, so I promise last question, I just love the buggy look of those wings and can't help myself... Are those stripped one side and folded back over themselves? They look awesome. I thought they were an artificial. Until you look close you can't tell its even feather. Thanks again and sorry about all these questions

No problem with questions.

Yes the feather is stripped on one side and folded over itself.

I believe it was in "2005" at the Somerset NJ fly fishing show the inventor of the wing Jens Pilgaard showed it to me at the Fly Tyer Variant booth.

He named it the Origami Wing, which is Japanese for paper folding.

Check google you'll find his web site, and it maybe on youtube but I've never checked.

Heads are too big for my taste

LOL

Actually, that was my thought too. Not too big in diameter, but too long front to back, especially the first one.

It's an interesting look and unique use as far as I know. The one question I've had regardless of the use of this style of wing is durability. How do the stems hold up to a few fish?

The one question I've had regardless of the use of this style of wing is durability. How do the stems hold up to a few fish?

Good question, in fact it is the second most asked question I get about the wing.

First one is casting.

False casting a lot with LIGHT tipped will twist on you. Depending upon your casting style and ability you will have to find the correct size for you.

Even with it tied in the cripple style (90 degrees to the side off the hook shank) at the end of the drift I just lift and flick. No problems then.

The durability of the wing, again a good question.

Even with a traditional wing, it all depends on the wing itself and the fish taking it. Some hold up better than other.

I have caught a number of fish with the same fly and the wing is still in very good shape. On the other hand I had them also tear the up as well.

After a number of fish the wing will take a beating and again, sometimes that beat up fly is the best one to attract fish.