Fly Tying
jaymack

First dry fly

I've been tying since November, and have quite a nymph and streamer collection built up, but I just tied my first dry today. Went with a size 16 adams, the pictures not the greatest, but how does it look? To me it looks like the hackle goes down the body a bit far, but its at least buggy looking.

88F24D3D-70DA-48F5-AAA5-B3B153966878_zps

I agree with your assessment.

That being said, I've caught trout with flies that don't look half as good. For your first dry fly, and a size 16 at that, I say it is very good, very good indeed!

The wings could be longer and more prominent(they would be okay with shorter hackle), and the hackle a little shorter (my personal preference, you're in the ballpark) and begin more forward (right behind the wings), and the tail a tad shorter(if you used a smaller hackle), but all in all, with proper presentation, it will catch fish.

Nice vise!

Don't do away with attempt one though. Skitted across the top it will work in a sedge hatch too.

Impressive!!! I will be attempting some dry flies in the next couple of weeks! You did a really good job!

PS....DONT chuck the first fly away!!! Several folks have told me that they had wished they had kept their first flies.....keep them all I say! Years from now you will be happy to reminisce about your first ones!

Both will catch you lots of fish. Dry flies are inherently harder to tie, I believe, because the imitation AND the performance need to be there. I'll give you an example of what I mean: For #16 hooks on down, I don't even bother with the dubbing and just build a thread body and use polypro wings. This prevents the fly from lapping up too much water and sinking it, reducing the amount of floatant needed and increasing the time the fly spends on the film.

DO KEEP you first fly. Pin it in your favorite hat or carry it in you box; never to be used. You'll appreciate your progress. Might I recommend using even LESS dubbing (if you are going to use dubbing) and make a nice tight, tapered, skinny body.

I'm jealous of your hackling. I wish mine looked that good when I was starting out.

Yeah ... that's a lot of hackle in that parachute. Only the biggest fish in the pool would try to eat that.

My opinion is to keep going on one pattern at a time, learn the proportions and "hone in" on those, then proceed to others. The body on parachute is good, all other steps need some work

My opinion is to keep going on one pattern at a time, learn the proportions and "hone in" on those, then proceed to others. The body on parachute is good, all other steps need some work

Do you have any specific advice? I am trying to stick with a pattern until it is at least decent, not necessarily perfect.

Hey jaymack, looking good. I can see improvment as the photos progress. I usually tie a slew of the same fly until I get the feel for the dynamics of that particular fly. Keep up the good work!

But I would put them all in my box and throw them...I'm sure they will catch fish.