Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

PFD suspenders

Has anyone ever tried their PFD suspenders in a swimming pool to see if they work or actually had to use them out on the water or do you just do like parachuters and hope it opens when you jump? I would really like to get this type PFD for paddling but am just a little uncertain, lets just say, I won't be jumping out of any planes...

Kirk

Come on Kirk, throw yourself off a plane over a big bit of blue and see if your vest works.

I have to say that was hoping for a slant on the thread given the title but guess I'll have to wait for Panama or Ditz to get on.

Yeah Piker, that's a good one; jump out of plane over lake, hope parachute opens to set you down softly in water to see if your deflated PFD suspenders inflate and float you. I've got to many fish to catch to dick around with that notion. :-)

When I first read the title I thought Kirk was breaking out his new summer wear already

post-18514-0-14696900-1398368971_thumb.jpg

Seriously, I have never used one of those inflatable pfd's but it sounds like a sensible thing to do before venturing out. I never wear them since I am usually fishing in about 3 feet of water. If I fall overboard I just stand up

Seriously though, I always think if I take a swim its because I'm incapacitated to stay in the boat and the vest would definately be needed then.

I have AGN but it looks more like a tent than a handkerchief.

Piker, in a larger boat, maybe you have to be tipsy but smaller boats especially paddle craft you can capsize by doing something stupid even when straight.

I was thinking more slip and bang head or similar. I can't drink if fishing due to needing a car to get to and from.

This is an important question. Presumably all PFDs are tested and certified by PFDMA and the US Coast Guard. Do we know about some PFDs failing? If so, then what good is the certification?

I do know that some persons who are overweight test their PFDs in the pool to make sure they aren't too heavy for it to float, but all the ones I've shopped for state what the max weight is.

No, I must admit, I've never tested my PFD. But I wear it all the time. I got spit out of my boat when I went over a wakeboard boat wave. One minute I was running, the next, I was in the water. That was before the inflatable PFD, and I didn't wear a full life vest all the time. I also didn't have my lanyard on and the boat kept running. Fortunately for me, I was within swimming distance of the shore ... unfortunately, most of the swim was through Kissimmee grass. If I had required one more minute to reach ground I could stand on, I wouldn't be typing this right now. I was on the verge of going under for the last time, and I don't float, and my toe touch solid bottom.

The boat ran in circles until the same guys in the wakeboat came and got a hold of it.

The way I figure it ... the vest, full of air, WILL hold my head above water. Don't believe it, try taking a basketball under water. The only question is not whether it will float you ... but how long will it stay inflated.

I wear the "suspender" type inflatable ALL the time now ... and I never run the engine without the lanyard hooked to me.

Yes they work. Buddy was a game warden and a guy tried to run over him in a boat. Didn't shoot as other boats in the area. Guy slammed his boat and he went overboard with shotgun in hand. PDF brought him to surface. This was part of a manhunt. Fugitive was later arrested by other law enforcement on the land.

I've got to get one of those. I use a vest PFD with the mesh top but it is still hot as hell in the summer and bulky as shoplifter heisting a rump roast from the grocery.

The self inflatable don't accidently go off when they get wet, but those that have the CO2 cartridges might depending on how wet they get. If you get one you might be a little surprised when it inflates, so buy extra re-arm CO2 kits so you can test it before it needs to be used. Not nearly as bulky as a bass boat fishing vest with more flotation.

I have considered these because I wade the river chasing smallies sometimes and the water is often swift enough to try to take me off my feet and wash me into the deeper places. Since my swimming ability could be compared to an anvil, maybe this could save me if I get swept away.