Fly Tying
COMike

Case for barbless hooks!!!

Sorry... didn't mean to sound huffy. I just don't always remember where I read something. The article about impacting growth rate was in a journal (didn't find it online).

There are plenty of peer-reviewed studies showing that the barbed vs barbless hook thing has almost no real-world effect on fish mortality.

Leaving side all the conflicting reports, articles, etc., my guess is that a simple lip hook that's easy to remove doesn't do any lasting damage. A swallowed hook probably does.

Here is a summation of a study and findings published in the North American Journal of Fisheries Managment:

Barbed Hook Restrictions in Catch-and-Release Trout Fisheries: A Social Issue
DOI: 10.1577/1548-8675(1997)017<0873:BHRICA>2.3.CO;2 D. J. Schilla & R. L. Scarpellaa

pages 873-881

• Published online: 08 Jan 2011
Article Views: 68
Abstract

We summarized results of past studies that directly compared hooking mortality of resident (nonanadromous) salmonids caught and released with barbed or barbless hooks. Barbed hooks produced lower hooking mortality in two of four comparisons with flies and in three of five comparisons with lures. Only 1 of 11 comparisons resulted in statistically significant differences in hooking mortality. In that instance, barbless baited hooks caused significantly less mortality than barbed hooks, but experimented design concerns limited the utility of this finding. Mean hooking mortality rates from past lure studies were slightly higher for barbed hooks than barbless ones, but the opposite was true for flies. For flies and lures combined, mean hooking mortality was 4.5% for barbed hooks and 4.2% for barbless hooks. Combination of test statistics from individual studies by gear type via meta-analysis yielded nonsignificant results for barbed versus barbless flies, lures, or flies and lures combined. We conclude that the use of barbed or barbless flies or lures plays no role in subsequent mortality of trout caught and released by anglers. Because natural mortality rates for wild trout in streams commonly range from 30% to 65% annually, a 0.3% mean difference in hooking mortality for the two hook types is irrelevant at the population level, even when fish are subjected to repeated capture. Based on existing mortality studies, there is no biological basis for barbed hook restrictions in artificial fly and lure fisheries for resident trout. Restricting barbed hooks appears to be a social issue. Managers proposing new special regulations to the angling public should consider the social costs of implementing barbed hook restrictions that produce no demonstrable biological gain.

You may see the whole scientific study's findings here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8675%281997%29017%3C0873%3ABHRICA%3E2.3.CO%3B2?src=recsys#.U4IaG3JdVIE

As far as I know, this is the most recent study done on this issue. It contradicts the findings of a previous study which found a slightly higher mortality rate with barbed hooks. But there were some considerations not observed in the previous study and this most recent study is considered more accurate.

Personal injury issues aside, barbed hooks are of little concern to fish mortality rates.

Mike....You may thank me now smile.png

This topic has been extensively discussed below. I presented evidence that in virtually every fishery that has been scientifically studied, barbless hooks have no effect on preserving the overall fish populations when compared with barbed hooks.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75418

Here is a study done in a saltwater fishery which should interest the original poster.

Performance of Barbed and Barbless Hooks in a Marine Recreational Fishery:

"In this fishery, barbless hooks probably did not reduce hooking mortality and conferred only slight benefits at the expense of reduced catches."

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi.....0.CO;2

Sorry for the delay on my response.....real world car issues have been occupying my time.

My intent of the post was not to cause an argument. There are those that like barbed hooks and those that don't....

I fished tournaments both salt and fresh for different species over the years and ALWAYS used barbed hooks. Perhaps it was because that was what I was raised on but in actuality NO ONE used barbless (granted we were NOT using a fly rod).

I stand by my statements on barbless for fly fishing for trout and other freshwater species. It makes sense to me especially now that I have had three...count them THREE hooks in my foot in the tying room! That is enough for me to stay with barbless hooks.

The only other thing I would say is that for ME, once landing a fish (trout in my case), the release is important. Getting the hook out swiftly and easily is IMO an important thing. I also do NOT like having a barb stuck in the net (whether plastic or mesh). This gets me fishing SOONER!

Thanks for the posts on the studies......I really liked reading them!!! Gives EVERYONE whether you are a barbed or barbless fisherman some good information!

Mike :)