Fly Tying

Cool video! Channel cats can sure surprise you sometimes! I've never caught one on a surface fly, but have caught many on flies!

Yeah, Rainy's has a lot of good looking stuff!

I was checking out your blog too! It will be bookmarked for sure! smile.png

Tidewater, I never did post it but here it is. I hope to give it a test later this week.

post-18514-0-92255400-1401725593_thumb.jpg

I agree about the use of marabou on popper tails, I love to use it, it has great action even when the fly is at rest between pops

post-18514-0-99872700-1401725784_thumb.jpg

Great looking videos fshng84, cool to get a catfish on topwater. You don't see that everyday

Made several Tube Popper Flies to replace the prototype lost the other day. Went with White Marabou and Red as well as Yellow Popper Bodies. Did a "Field Test" (another excuse to go fishing!) and was able to catch four Bass, missed others... going to blame it on the pretty woman in the white shorts that walked by! Largest Bass went 15"!

DSC01047.JPG

agn54, thanks for posting those! They look great! The more of these tube flies I see the more I like them! wub.png

fishng84, so, you caught some fish & saw a pretty woman in white shorts, sounds like a great day to me! laugh.png

Went kayak trolling this morning for White Bass. Made a batch of Red and White Tube Flies. Also, brought Crappie Jigs and Slabs. Have used Tube Flies before at local ponds using a five weight rod with good success. This time wanted to see if the Tube Fly could be trolled like a Crappie Jig. To add weight, used silver Cone Heads.

To make the Tube Fly, tied Marabou to the tube, and then made a red head with the tying thread. Basically, a Tube Popper Fly less the popper.

Action was steady with six Keepers. Did get others but they were undersized. Of the lures used, Tube Fly seemed to get more hook ups and less missed strikes but only two Keepers went for it. The remaining Keepers went for the Crappie Jig.

Going to play around with this pattern more, and may post a SBS later. Here is a video clip of the action and a picture of the Red and White Tube Flies.

DSC01050.JPG

Here's a couple that I've tied up. I've caught some smallmouth on them in Ontario. A bit big for the local creeks.

post-309-0-23569900-1403440923_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-17153000-1403440985_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-67791200-1403441007_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-66936400-1403440950_thumb.jpg

Now you guys have me ready to try out my new kit. I bought a simple kit from another board that is nothing but block of nice clean balsa and tube to punch out bodies with. There's a bunch of hooks with it but I don't really like them. BIg, heavy long hooks. I really like the idea of the tube flies. They will be just the thing for changing hook colors and the sliding body will be a lot harder to throw. Now I need to get a few going. Like I told the guy who sent me the kit. I will now have to spend more money buy the Copic Air Brush System to make them really nice.

I haven't had many issues with them sliding when I cast them. Most tube tying kits have different types of tubing. The hard type for tying the bodies on or sliding and gluing the popper body in place and softer more elastic tubing and/or small diameter rubber tubing that you slide over the harder tubing. I use super glue to hold the soft piece in place. Once you tie the hook on you slide the soft tubing over the hook eye and it will hold the hook in place till you get a fish on.

Went kayak trolling this morning for White Bass. Made a batch of Red and White Tube Flies. Also, brought Crappie Jigs and Slabs. Have used Tube Flies before at local ponds using a five weight rod with good success. This time wanted to see if the Tube Fly could be trolled like a Crappie Jig. To add weight, used silver Cone Heads.

To make the Tube Fly, tied Marabou to the tube, and then made a red head with the tying thread. Basically, a Tube Popper Fly less the popper.

Action was steady with six Keepers. Did get others but they were undersized. Of the lures used, Tube Fly seemed to get more hook ups and less missed strikes but only two Keepers went for it. The remaining Keepers went for the Crappie Jig.

Going to play around with this pattern more, and may post a SBS later. Here is a video clip of the action and a picture of the Red and White Tube Flies.

DSC01050.JPG

Headed to the lake after work this evening. No bites for a while and then caught two White Bass using a White Tube Fly. Used Surf Casting Gear and a Float and Jig Rig substituting the Jig with the Tube Fly! Today's Video.