Fly Tying
Matt McK

Best light fly rod for trout?

there is no such thing.To each his own.

I disagree ... What's best for me SHOULD be best for everybody !!!

I keep telling Wife that ... which is why everything about our lives is what is best for me, whether I like it or not.

I purchased a 8' 3 weight TFO BVK and the conversion kit to make it a 10' rod and I love it. I have used it more than either of my other two (a 4 weight and 7 weight). The 8' set up casts dry flies and small nymphs very nicely. The ten foot set up also casts dry flies quite well and is great for nymphing multi nymph rigs with long leaders. It also casts heavy flies like weighted buggers pretty well.

I fish small, brushy streams in N Michigan for Brookies. Some real "bushwhacking".

I use either a 5' 6 3wt or a 7'6 3wt, both lined with a wf4f. Guess I favor the 5'6.

Mikechell you are way too funny. Do you do stand up comedy?

Back to the question...bottom line is....you need to buy several rods. The short ones are great for those really tight spots and learning how to bow and arrow or slingshot into the really tight spots is a must. Tenkara style (expensive cane poling) with nymphs and strike indicators a 9 foot or 8'6" is good for reaching into the eddy's behind rocks etc. Since smokey fish are very small a 2-3 wt should be fine.

I am also into TFO rods. I own a TFO finess 3wt which is great. One of my favorite rods to fish. It's great for small roll cast and long cast in lakes. If there is low wind or large flie it cast great.

I am also into TFO rods. I own a TFO finess 3wt which is great. One of my favorite rods to fish. It's great for small roll cast and long cast in lakes. If there is low wind or large flie it cast great.

Singletrack,

I have considered that finesse rod. I gave it a shake test but didn't get to cast it but liked it. I decided on the BVK and the conversion because I mostly fish nymphs and really liked the extra reach and price point.

I also own a 4 Weight Professional II and a 7 weight BVK. I've cast more expensive similar rods and don't know why I would spend more for a rod.

I own a TFO 7wt axiom along with finesse. I have really wanted to get a BVK also but it has not worked out yet. I really like TFO pricing and warranties. There casting is really nice for the price. You should cast the finess if you like fishing small streams really a great rod. For a slow action 3wt I have found it quite versatile.