Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Harley themed rod

Well I don't really know where to even start with this one there's o much to it. But I'll tryin give a quick run down. This one is one a customer ordered as a retirement gift for his father whom is retiring next year and is a Harley rider so asked for a HD themed rod.

Blank is a black matrix with carbon fiber twirl butt section on the blank. Reel seat is an Amtak AW12 window style seat which I wrapped the rear hood with HD colors as well as the owners initials in one window opening and his retirement date in the other window. Grip is a carbon fiber grip with an orange sleeve underneath it. I sanded the center of the grip and painted it metallic silver, then added custom made decals with the owners name as well as metallic silver wraps over the grip to add a finished look to the edges of it. Then coated with three coats of finish over the whole grip.

Winding check is a knurled aluminum check. Various wraps and trim wraps boarder hand painted marbling flame work I did on the butt section in front of the grip.

Wraps are done with a base layer of a metallic silver underwrap, then orange and black overwraps. Stripper is a Struble Midnight & White Agate stripper with snake style running guides.

5n6id.jpg

olfwu.jpg

21u8.jpg

kqo6.jpg

pnr0b.jpg

hbvkg.jpg

v4v9m.jpg

o708.jpg

p6paz.jpg

8ld7.jpg

k4ep.jpg

OMG! You have to enter that in some kind of competition. Too awesome for words.

Nothing short of amazing. In the vernacular of my company ... you've gone above and beyond "excellent" and "outstanding" right into "role model".

Every rod builder should be aspiring to be like you.

In all seriousness. That is one AWESOME fly rod !!!

I hope you took advantage of the automatic "Hunnert Dollah" that Harley Davidson name adds to everything. That is what HD stands for.

And yes, that is a beautiful rod and one of the most extraordinary grips I've ever seen. Kudoes to you.