Fly Tying
taggart.josh

Pike Leaders

What do you use for a leader for toothy fish? I am asking specifically about pike. I recently bought a wire leader from cabelas but now that I have fished with it a few times I am not to happy with it. My complaints are that it has a ton of memory and that the attachment method is rather complicated and time consuming. The wire loops through the eye and threads back into a metal piece which has to be crimped and un-crimped every time you change. Wondering what else there is, thanks.

Can use really heavy mono. I've used both and have caught some pretty toothy fish with mono as well as wire (I think I used knot-kinky or something like that though Rio sells some stuff).

Out here in colorado we use 7.5 to 9 ft 20# flourocarbon leaders with a #0 or #1 snap.Catch lots of 14" to 40 fish with very little loss of flies or broken off fish. The flies range from 3/0 pike bunnies to #2 wooley buggers so a tapered leader is not needed.Also using a polmar knot for the snap seems fool proof.

I use just 15-20lb power pro braid like a just a foot in front of the fly an the rest is mono to my fly line don't seem to ever have a problem. My fly is junk be for my leader

I don't use wire anymore as it damages the fish when they 'gator roll'. I have gone to 40# bite tippet for the last few years and have lost exactly one fish as a result. Usually use a 20# class tippet as a safety valve in case I need to break it off and then 40# flouro. Works like a champ.

I don't use wire either. Usually a 6 to 8 foot piece of 25 lb fluorocarbon. Over the years, I've lost more flies to to beaver huts than to bite offs. If I do get a bite off, I might add a 40 or 50 lb piece of fluorocarbon as a "bite tippet" to the 25 lb piece but I usually just tie on a new fly.

25-30lb mono for me, I fish a lot of clear waters so I like the visibility advantage but can't bring myself to spending $30 for a spool of fluoro.

I also use braid in front of my leader. You can get a whole spool of powerpro fairly cheap and I usually have around 6-8 inches of braid tied on with a loop to loop connection. Never had a problem.

Power Pro it is, I have a spool of 30# on my tying bench that I use for my articulated streamers. Thanks for the advice Im going to give it a try next time I get out.

I use Mason hard mono for pike and I have caught some giants. Just be sure to check it for abrasions after every catch or hookup.

As a big time pike fan wire is the only 100% bite proof material. Lots of UK anglers have used braid and it works okay but braid is not very resistant to straight edge abrasion. Run a taut length of braid over a sharp knife and ping. It will fail eventually on a pike. Probably not a small jack but yes on a big girl.

Mono is little better. Lots of UK guys went onto the 100lb monos for a time thinking it solved the answers of wire traces but too many fish lost purely down to mono.

I've used 7 strand, 49 strand, bare and coated wires and titanium single strand wires. Never had a damaged pike. Not saying its impossible but in 20yrs and 100s of pike never a problem. Traces have always been minimum 10 inch long, normally 18".

For fly leaders I prefer either a cheap 49 strand wire tied to the fly just like mono and bin when its all kinky. Or a single strand titanium wire. More cost but lasts 10x longer at least. I use a snap link with these traces. Doesn't affect casting or presentation. duolock http://www.dbluefishing.com/goods.php?id=240 type snaps are 100% reliable. I've had all other style of snap open at some point.

If you dont mind losing a fish to bite off then stick with mono leaders. It may only happen once but when that girl is a 30lber you'll wish you had used wire. Too late at that stage.

My guide buddies up in Northern Saskatchewan at Wollaston Lake showed me to use 18" plastic coated wire such as Mason tied to 6' 30 lb+ mono with an Albright knot. They tie the hook on with a figure 8 knot in the wire.

I just bought small snaps that I was going to crimp on the end for easy hook exchange.

I use cabela brand bass leaders, usually 20lb then tie on about a foot of Rio knotable wire tippet. Its $17.00 per spool and usually lasts a while. Works well for me up in Northen Canada, largest pike landed was just under 20lbs.

I have some Cabela's tieable wire leader material and when I fished them a lot up north I found it only took a short 3-4" wire to prevent MOST bite-offs. This would do for pike we caught up to the 20# area and very seldom have them take a big fly deep enough to get past wire. Seldom but occasionally it could happen but hater throwing much more wire than that myself.

i'm glad i read this thread, lot's of great info. this probably saved a pike from swimming around with a fly in its mouth.