Fly Tying
add147

Stupid Question on Beads

Okay I have a stupid question pertaining to beads. Can glass or ceramic beads be used instead of the brass or tungsten beads? I am going to hopefully start tying some Bitch Creek Flies and they call for a color bead. I have some black tungsten beads already but I would like to use a green color bead instead. Yes I could order some online but I know Hobby Lobby has some glass and ceramic beads. Just wondering if that can be done? I know it's a stupid question....LOL

I think the problem you're going to run into w/ craft store beads is the hole being the same diameter on both sides of the bead where the ones drilled for tying have a :"countersunk" hole on one side that makes it a lot easier to get them around the hook bend. I've tried regular beads and didn't have very good luck getting them on the hooks I was using. I also don't know about the durability of glass or ceramic bouncing along the stream bottom, I would think they'd chip/crack/break. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong... smile.png

Glass Beads are fine. I use a lot to tie mercury midges which call for a clear glass bead with a chrome liner. The only issue I have had is over time glass bead do break making the fly useless. But they do make for nice looking flies.

Sure you can. They have a nice translucent look that is different from metal beads. Of course they aren't as heavy as tungsten or brass.

add147,

This is NOT a stupid question!!!!

Beads from the fly shops are VERY expensive for me. I know a TON of people that use the Hobby Lobby, Michael's, local craft store beads and they are very good substitutes.

Some points to note:

1. Glass/Ceramic can break when slammed on a rock, tree, hard surface.

2. Sizing can be tricky when dealing in a multi pack (some are bigger some are smaller)....I personally don't care as I can cull out the different sizes.

3. Tungsten is VERY dense but you pay for that. They should not break whatsoever but the cost is REALLY high for me so I have not purchased any.

4. Colors in Glass beads are endless! You might be able to find a local bead shop to find more beads than you could ever imagine!

Some folks here in CO use tons of glass beads in their fly tying and are some amazing patterns. My friend Dave clued me into the Arvada Bead Company that is near Charlie's Fly Box. He ties some AMAZING flies and I will be headed there after my vacation. VERY inexpensive....tube of hundreds of beads for pennies on the dollar.

Perhaps you should try a few yourself and see how they work for you?

I am tying with glass/ceramic/hematite beads now and they seem to be doing just fine. (note: I tend to lose flies in the bushes/trees a bunch as a beginner so it is an easier pill to swallow when I lose a fly).

One thing to consider....check out Hobby Lobby when they have a sale on glass beads. You can usually get 50% off at least when they run these sales. Same with Michael's.

Multipacks are good as well as you will get an assortment of colors. I spent Saturday sorting some multipacks (various colors) and was amazed at the variations you can sort out.

Just my 2.5 cents!

Mike :)

The main thing to consider is weight. Many flies call for tungsten or brass beads because they help them sink. Glass won't help you get your flies down in the zone, but they make for a good looking fly.

short answer is yes you can use hobby store seed beads. you wont get any weight from them and they will break

I have some black tungsten beads already but I would like to use a green color bead instead

well tungsten beads do come in colors

http://www.google.com/search?q=colored+tungsten+beads&safe=active&nord=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0LCpU_7zDuessQTE8oCwCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1159&bih=606

Just for clarification no stream fishing....Just fishing shore line of some lakes and tanks out in pastures...

On a fly like a Bitch Creek, you can use any color glass bead you want to. The original had NO beads. These are stone fly imitations, and are meant to be fished deep in fast water. For that you do need weight. When using glass beads, you would want to add lead wire to the hook shank to provide the necessary weight. Bitch Creeks are rather chunky nymphs to begin with, and the lead wraps won't do much to alter the profile.

Then you could also weight the leader.

On a fly like a Bitch Creek, you can use any color glass bead you want to. The original had NO beads. These are stone fly imitations, and are meant to be fished deep in fast water. For that you do need weight. When using glass beads, you would want to add lead wire to the hook shank to provide the necessary weight. Bitch Creeks are rather chunky nymphs to begin with, and the lead wraps won't do much to alter the profile.

Then you could also weight the leader.

THANKS UTYER!

While I am an inexperienced Fly 'Tyer', I appreciate JUST WHAT YOU SAID!

I cannot spend tons of funds on tungsten (or brass beads) but many folks do exactly what you stated!

Glass beads are plentiful and have very nice colors! In my intermediate fly tying class a simple solution is to tie in some lead behind the bead (compensate for the girth on the shank) and whammo....an inexpensive solution to getting a fly down.

In REALLY small flies, a tungsten bead would be much better due to the bulk on a tiny fly.

:)