Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Yep, the "Pea-Bunny" by LowTideFly

I tied a batch of them and posted it on my Insta, "saltflies" check it out if you want...

They move really nice but haven't produced for me, yet..

Yes

But how long do they last?

1 strike, couple of fish, forever etc

Ground Control to Major Tom...

Bueller...? Anyone...?!

Oh... THAT kind'a LAST... !

Most of the Light Cured Resins are somewhat brittle and will phracture when subjected to boat hulls, engine nacelles, rocks, etc.

There are some relatively softer phlexable phormulas [Tuffleye Flex comes to mind] that will NOT shatter on impact...

For my purposes, I prefer the Thick and the Thin standard issue versions...

re: How long do they last ?

They are reasonably resilient and fare with the likes of typical Flat Wings and Deceivers smile.png

Unlike many synthetics, pheatherz are relatively phragile... but they can take a licking...

I phrequently keep the same phly on all day... but will change it out when it's done... 'dependz...

While the initial strike and ingestion process can be quite violent, the process of getting the hook OUT can be even more destructive...

Debarbing makes for a much more graceful and less traumatizing experience...

For more challenging situations, I used to reach for my trusty pliers which would inevitably TRASH the phly...

For the good of the victim AND the phly, I have evolved into a quicker Catch n' Release non-destructive scenario...

Debarbed hooks and De-Hook devices that can reach the hook [however deep] and make short order of getting it out and the fish back in the water ASAP...

here's some of my typical kit with tools at the ready...

DSCN1057_zpsvluvmd5u.jpg

DSCN1058_zpswtdcyzcd.jpg

DSCN1059_zpseh3gybeg.jpg

My PRIMARY CONCERN is for the well being of my catch and an EXPEDITED RELEASE with as little handling and peripheral damage as possible...

Hero Phish Photos are NOT in my wheelhouse... wink.png

I know you guys will be drooling over the vise but please try to look at the fly. Based on Lemay's silhouette/seaducer, 3/0 C68 Mustad.

This is my second vise, sort of. I broke the first little one tying lead bucktails but saved the post and later welded the vise grips to it and made a base of bubinga. Works good for extra large hooks like 7/0 and I don't have to worry about breaking the jaws on big jigs. But I would still love one of Peter's though.

post-44758-0-33655600-1480954018_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-77255600-1480954033_thumb.jpg

post-25465-0-63840400-1480960301_thumb.jpg

G'day Saltybum...

Good stuff... Nice job on the phly and the photo...

re: vise grips...

do what you can with what you have where you are... smile.png

Colors are reversed but was this guy your inspiration Islander?

Inspiration AND source of materials. You'd be amazed at what them hippies will trade for a couple of mushrooms...

Yes

But how long do they last?

1 strike, couple of fish, forever etc

Ground Control to Major Tom...

Bueller...? Anyone...?!

Oh... THAT kind'a LAST... !

Most of the Light Cured Resins are somewhat brittle and will phracture when subjected to boat hulls, engine nacelles, rocks, etc.

There are some relatively softer phlexable phormulas [Tuffleye Flex comes to mind] that will NOT shatter on impact...

For my purposes, I prefer the Thick and the Thin standard issue versions...

re: How long do they last ?

They are reasonably resilient and fare with the likes of typical Flat Wings and Deceivers smile.png

Unlike many synthetics, pheatherz are relatively phragile... but they can take a licking...

I phrequently keep the same phly on all day... but will change it out when it's done... 'dependz...

While the initial strike and ingestion process can be quite violent, the process of getting the hook OUT can be even more destructive...

Debarbing makes for a much more graceful and less traumatizing experience...

For more challenging situations, I used to reach for my trusty pliers which would inevitably TRASH the phly...

For the good of the victim AND the phly, I have evolved into a quicker Catch n' Release non-destructive scenario...

Debarbed hooks and De-Hook devices that can reach the hook [however deep] and make short order of getting it out and the fish back in the water ASAP...

here's some of my typical kit with tools at the ready...

DSCN1057_zpsvluvmd5u.jpg

DSCN1058_zpswtdcyzcd.jpg

DSCN1059_zpseh3gybeg.jpg

My PRIMARY CONCERN is for the well being of my catch and an EXPEDITED RELEASE with as little handling and peripheral damage as possible...

Hero Phish Photos are NOT in my wheelhouse... wink.png

That gear retractor for a larger dehooker is a great idea instead of just having it like the one on a lanyard, as too much weight on the neck with all the other "chicken bones".

Phour Pheather Phluffy Needle Stimulator... Bug Bond, Partridge Patriot Barbless #2, clear mono...

F70A3430_zpsf7pylcz8.jpg

F70A3431_zpscdxgrfk7.jpg

F70A3432_zpstesapzor.jpg

F70A3433_zpsvmudza5t.jpg

F70A3434_zpsn6x5n4tm.jpg