Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

I've used a lot of flip flop foam. Never "strip cut" it for use like that. Interesting concept, that I will have to try when I get back home.

Well done, and well tied. Hopefully, you'll catch a huge bass ... with a video to prove it!

Thanks.

I use flip flops for poppers and they hold up pretty good. I like gurglers and I thought why not make them from flip flops so they last awhile.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'll post a pic when I do.

islander727 I'd imagine it creates a bit more ruckus in the water as well?

I'll bet you are right. Because the lip is rigid unlike sheet foam.....it should push more water.

Let you know how it fishes when I try it.

What did you use for the cheek plate?

re: cheeks... mylar with a thin layer of BugBond...

GC59 & Li'lDave nice work.

Both of your patterns look similar, what materials did you use?

Gold northern lights, eyes,dubbing,and white congo hair from FTD on a 2/0 34007 mustad hook. Thanks.

Mine was from Gold polar flash, and slinky fiber pretty much.

Sometimes I'll also use congohair.

The eyes came from ftd. And the hook was a gamakatsu sl12s 2/0

I'd be happy with that low light baitfish (and want it in a few brighter colors as well.... for down here in paradise...

Thanks Skipper. I wish I was down there in paradise.

Only a few more sleeps until the season opens for barramundi on the east coast of North Queensland.post-22241-0-84795000-1485424170_thumb.jpg

Although we have periodic closures for one species or other (right now it's snook and grouper where I am) we still fish for everything year 'round, and just carefully release anything in a closed season or protected...

Capt Bob

When is the best time for grouper? I fished islamorada last week and caught a bunch of fish including a good for me 10lb tripletail. I go down their frequently and am trying to figure everything.

Thanks

For gag grouper (my favorite, when they're up inside rivers that drain into the Gulf..) things usually kick off as water temps begin to drop in November and stay interesting all the way through the colder months (we get them up to around 30" on bait and lures -that's a roughly 12 lb fish). Pretty sure there are bigger ones around but they live right on really jagged and rough rock bottom with lots of places for them to hang you up... or around the ends of downed trees where it's even easier for them to get off..... The best we've ever done on fly is fish up to about five pounds that have moved up under downed trees laying in less than six feet of water - but we've never been able to target them on fly. I suspect that a little live chumming might change that since they can get really aggressive when fired up...

Of course the rules for grouper don't even contemplate fish up inside rivers where the water depth is less than 12 feet - so the season closure in on almost the entire time the gags are inshore (the colder months....). By the way we never had a November season this past year since it just never got cold....