Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
planettrout

Tiemco 16/0 Thread...say goodbye

Umpqua Feather Merchants will no longer be distributing the Tiemco 16/0 thread which is perfect for very small fly patterns. I copped the last that Bob Marriott's had, here in Los Angeles, and the only person who has a bunch in stock is CHARLIE CRAVEN at his shop in CO..an alternative is the 18/0 Nano silk which Cascade Crest now has in Black and White (color with a marker). One may purchase the Nano Silk directly from Cascade Crest...

PT/TB

Hi group,

You might consider trying Georgio Benecchi's or Gordon Griffin's 14/0 thread from Italy & the UK. Both have distributors here in the US including J Stockard, Front Range Anglers or Blue Quill Angler just to name three that came up on a Google search. Take care & ...

Benecchi is becoming harder to find here in UK. Especially black. Gordons shear and the veevus are my go to presently.

I have every thread mentioned in A & G's above post (including Lagartun 74 denier) as well as Veevus, which I introduced to this forum about two years ago. NONE of them tie as flat as Tiemco 16/0 or are as effective on very small hooks - except the Semper Fli 18/0 Nano Silk, which I am using on a pattern in my vise at this moment. If one has actually tied with the Tiemco 16/0, then one knows what I'm talking about...

PT/TB dry.png

TMC16-0SIDE_zpseafc8800.jpg

Tiemco 16/0...

SFNANOSILK18-0_zps7908980e.jpg

Semper Fli 18/0 Nano Silk...don't use this with Elk, Deer, or other hollow hairs - it will slice right through it and lean on it -yer' hook will bend...

PT/TB

At that price per spool, just as well Umqua is dropping it. Of course, dropping it in the US market does not necessarily mean it is going to be completely unavailable...

Umpqua Feather Merchants will no longer be distributing the Tiemco 16/0 thread... For real? Why is this? I think that this Danish Veevus Thread 16/0 would be a great replacement for the Tiemco, unless you can find it via the good old eBay! Cheers mate! http://www.govic.si/en/Blog.aspx

One can see on the Tiemco home site, that the thread is still in the line up, along with the colors Tan and Rust that were never imported into the U.S. A lot of tiers balked at the price, not realizing that twice as much thread came on the spool. I'll probably find it in some obscure shop in Japan orThailand...

http://www.tiemco.co.jp/products/groups/view/155

PT/TB tongue.png

Semper Fli 18/0 Nano Silk is what I like to use.....ditto with the comment about deer, elk etc

Tiemco has discontinued the thread line. I found some rust and tan in a fly shop in Yokohama, Japan...it was all gone in two days...

PT/TB

I just got my first batch of the TMC stuff from Charlie and it's some of the best stuff I have seen. The 16/0 veevus doesn't even hold a candle to it in lay down ability.

Also, the Bennecci 12/0 and griffith's 14/0 are both roughly the same denier at Uni 8/0 and MFC 8/0. All about 70 denier. This TMC stuff has to be getting close to 40 denier...