Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pnptrapp

How many do you tie before getting sidetracked?

So when you sit down to tie a fly, is there a certain number of one kind of fly you tie before moving onto other flies? I find I start with the intent of tying at least 5 flies of whatever type but usually end up only getting through three before I want to tie some other type. I always get sidetracked by seeing other materials in my stash, limited as it is. I'll see something I haven't used in a while or not at all and think I really want to use that or, maybe I should tie that fly do I have the materials? Then off I go. It probably also doesn't help I'm usually watching you tube videos while tying and just let them play unless I need instruction. Sometimes those will inspire the new fly I just have to tie...

How many do you tie?

Since I only tie what I need for fishing, the number varies ... but it's always completed. If I need to tie 5 to replenish what I lost, then I tie that many.

Since I am not into tying just for the sake of tying, I rarely get sidetracked with "new" ideas.

I try to do atleast 10 a night but I do tie for friends and such. By the time I get home from work around 1 am its easy to sidetracked. Same as you I often look at my materials trying to avoid "putting all my eggs in one basket" if you will. But I usually remedy that by throwing on some good tunes and tying my heart out till I get tired.

From experience I know my limits. That's both on the total number of flies I can tie in a day, and how long I stick at a pattern. Rarely do I get an order for a single pattern that exceeds my daily limit, but it has happened. I would not like it to be a common thing.

There are a couple of things I do to stop myself getting distracted when tying. The most useful is to never take a break with the vice empty. It I take a break part way through a fly I come back and finish the fly. If I wait until the end of the fly that's when I get distracted. Seeing the part tied fly helps me to maintain the flow of concentration.

I have seen various discussions of what music to have on while tying. I don't tie with music on. For me it is audio books.

Most of my orders are for a mix of flies, so I will tie so many of one then go onto another pattern, working through the order in two directions as it were. If I was tidier I would only have the materials I need for a fly out at one time.

My absolute limits, 10 dozen flies, or 10 hours. Whichever comes first. I have tied for longer, I don't like doing so.

Cheers,
C.

I tie whatever the hell I feel like. Sometimes one, sometimes ten. I don't count flies by the "dozen". I tie as a hobby and for fun, not to put obligations on myself. Occasionally weeks will go by and I don't tie anything. Other times I'll be working on things every day. Over the decades I've tied for friends and even a few times to sell. I won't be tying to sell any more. Takes all the enjoyment out of it for me.

I just tie to tie however I do finish up whatever pattern I am tying until I get where I think it is half way descent. Only distraction I have is the wife saying are you going back out there to do whatever you do...LOL

I tie one or two usually then I get up and half to walk around. My chair I use absolutely kills my back and butt so I only do a little at a time.

That's the main reason why I've never considered tying commercially. I get bored after 3 or 4 flies of the same pattern. I can tie for hours, but I have to mix it up.

I used to tie around a half dozen so if I lost one and I was catching I could just tie another. For the last year or so I some times will only tie one or two. I also may go weeks without tying. If I never tied another fly I probably have enough to last the remainder of my fishing career. However there are some flies that I just don't want to hit the water without so I do replentish some patterns with several when needed.

I have a double sided compartment box stuffed full for the sunfish and smallmouth, a double sided box crammed full of carp flies, Two large salt water boxes, two bass boxes crammed full. And then there are the overflow boxes for extras that I have tied for quick replentishment and a fair sized overflow box that is about 8x8x3 for patterns that I want to try one of these days.

I have a short attention span. If I really feel like tying, I may do 4, 5 or 6. It's a way to relax and forget the FUBARs at work. The most intense tying I ever did was to tie up a hundred flies for a caddis swap. If nothing else I can tie that fly blind folded. Though tying a fly on a size 32 Mustad for what was dubbed the Smallest Fly Project ranks up there in the intense zone. Now it's how far can I stretch the envelope. On tap for the winter is to tie up a spinner bait fly than can be cast and well actually work.