Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Nail knot vs loop to loop

What do you prefer for connecting fly line to backing?? The nail knot has long been the go to know when it came to attaching leader and backing, but from what ive seen it would seam that loop to loop may be starting to take over. More and more fly lines are coming with welded loops at both end of the line; the only reason i can think of this is that more people are starting to like this method of attaching fly line and backing. Personally i haven't been fly fishing long enough to really have an opinion, they both seam to work fine to me. The loop to loop seams efficient and it has no way to come apart. But at the same time its not like the nail knot is all that hard, only takes a couple of seconds if you known what your doing; and it is very strong, connecting fly fishermasns lines and backing together for decades.

Does one have a benefit over the other? What are the pros and cons of each

What are your opinions? Do you prefer a solid nail knot, or an unbreakable loop to loop?

Thanks

I use loops when the lines come with them and when they don't I nail knot a section of leader that bends like the end of the fly line to the end of the fly line and then use a loop at the free end of that. Then I test the hell out of it. Ditto, the loop to loops at the other end of my knotted and knot-less leaders.

The reason? I do not trust nail knots made with cold hands and under dim light or when a hatch is on and I need a new leader. It has worked for me for 50+ years.

Rocco

I've always used the traditional Albright Knot to connect backing to my fly line.

I use the loop to loop method to connect leader to my fly line with a Perfection

Knot on the leader end.

What do you prefer for connecting fly line to backing??

Albright knot

The loop to loop seams efficient and it has no way to come apart.

Unfortunately that is incorrect. Things can break as nothing is 100%.

Knots used to create the loop can come undone. Been there done that

perfectionR10.jpg

I've used a sewn through clinch knot on both ends of my fly line for a very long time. I use braid for backing, and it sews in almost as easily as mono ... makes a very small profile knot.

I've always used the traditional Albright Knot to connect backing to my fly line.

I use the loop to loop method to connect leader to my fly line with a Perfection

Knot on the leader end.

Haha, looks like i missed a knot. Considering this is the knot that ive been using to connect my backing and fly line i probably should have added it to the list.

The loop to loop seams efficient and it has no way to come apart.

Unfortunately that is incorrect. Things can break as nothing is 100%.

Knots used to create the loop can come undone. Been there done that

perfectionR10.jpg

I was more talking about the welded loops that come on the fly line. Yes i agree that if you make your in loops that the knots can come undone. Not knowing for sure, but im guessing the welded loops are pretty strong. Although like you said, nothing is 100%

I've used a sewn through clinch knot on both ends of my fly line for a very long time. I use braid for backing, and it sews in almost as easily as mono ... makes a very small profile knot.

I think i tried this knot once. It look me a devil of a time figuring it out, but in the end it did produce a very nice, small, and strong knot. But since i struggles with it so much with it i don't think ill be using it much anymore.

I use a loop to loop connection by putting a large Bimini Twist loop in the backing. A loop large enough to easily pass the reel through. When you change lines, just pass the reel through the loop rather than 100 feet of fly line. The Bimini Twist knot is considered a 100% strength knot and very smooth and slinder.

If the fly line does not have a welded in loop, I first cut the very end of the fly line at an angle. This will form a tapered lead-in to the loop. I make the loop by just forming one at the very end of the line (no knot) and then wrapping with fly tying thread (using a bobin). I then cover the wraps with a flexible glue or UV epoxy. This makes for a much smaller and smoother loop "knot" than most loop knots.

Heavynets is a man after my own heart. Being lazy and learning the Bimini twist since I don't fish big game I use the spider hitch to create the loop for the backing. Not as strong a knot however. ......We should all learn to tie the Bimini. I guess I better get in gear too.

I use the loop to loop. Most of the backing I have is Dacron. I use to buy big spools when I was doing a lot of off-shore trolling. The Gudebrod braided dacron is hollow and a tool came with a spool that allows you to make a seamless loop in the backing. With regular dacron I'll use a Bimini Twist to form the loop. I use the pre-made loops that slide over the fly line to attach the fly line to the backing loop. Just slide the tube end of the loop over the line. It acts like a Chinese Finger trap and really isn't isn't going to come off under pressure though I do use a light coat of something like Fleximent to make sure. I can't cast a full line and most of the large fish I catch aren't going to take me into my backing so it will do.

I use loop to loop when delicate presentation isn't required. E.g. blind fishing at the shores with wets or streamers.

For dries, where the delicate presentation IS required, I use nail knot to avoid a hinge effect between line and leader.

Henrik is wright! I use the nail knot on all my dry fly lines, bought the c&f design nail knot tool while in the snowy mountains Australia january last year, came in handy last summer on my first trip to north lapland, when i seen how clear the water was, i put a 12foot leader & almost 1metre tippet to all my dry lines 2wt 3wt 4wt & 5wt! Over 200 grayling & almost 50 brown trout in 1.5 weeks all on split feather wing mayflies & parashute adams. Going every summer now!

The loop to loop connection, if formed correctly, is a good way to do things. I use it a lot. I don't trust welded loops. The strength of a fly line is in its core not in the "plastic" coating around it. Welded loops are not made by joining the core to itself, but by fusing the plastic coating. I like a connection that connects the core. Many people use them with no problems, but I have seen the tip section of a spey line disappear with the fish when the welded loop has come undone. I've never seen it happen with attachments that attach to the core.

Cheers,

C.

I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more about this technique. How is it sewn?

I use a small sewing needle, make sure the eye is big enough for your leader material.

Thread the needle through your fly line, from the end in to about 1/2 inch (or as far as you can get it).

Thread the leader through the eye, and pull the needle through and out of the fly line.

Pull enough mono through to make a loop around the fly line, tie a clinch knot but don't tighten it.

Slide the knot down to 1/4 inch or less from where it exits the fly line and tighten there.

Pull the line tight as you pull the slack back out of the fly line.

I still do it this way, although the "knotless" connection is similar, using superglue to secure the line, rather than a knot.

You can watch me do it here ... might make a little more sense.

Mikechell that is an awesome knot vid. I've never seen that method. two questions: 1. when pushing the needle thru, do you target the center of the fly line? 2. do you have to finish the know with superglue?

I personally use a knot called the Alberto knot. for all my line to line needs. it is based on a chinese finger trap. the tighter the fish pulls the stronger the knot becomes. Its on YouTube, I used to ty only blood knots but the Alberto Knot is easier and less of a profile.