Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Ability & Style to Shoot For; Davie McPhail

Davie McPhail is bad..................for my productivity. He's a bit too much like the old potato chip commercial: "Bet you can't watch just one"

His caddis pupa pattern struck me as perfectly buggy, and I was lucky to come across it when I started.

I was very proud when I spun a few nice ones up.

Davie McPhail videos and intheriffle taught me the bulk of my tying as I progressed.

I heard he switched to a new vise because he got so many inquiries on where to get a LAW vise that he switched to a vise more easily obtainable. I think it' a Regal.

The vise isn't what makes someone good; all of us know that, but ..............................

I am always amazed how some folks race from vise to vise. It's an instrument that holds a hook, period; you can do that with your hand and tie "in hand." Many of us have done that, and some are tremendously talented in that realm, tying Classic Salmon, Classic Streamers, coldwater, or warmwater flies that are hard to beat, or impossible, with the most expensive vises.

A good vise is nice; it makes tying easier and more fun because of that, but you really don't even have to have one to tie a great fly. Like Anything else, you just need practice.

I don't know what the first big rage in vises was, but LAWs were one not long ago. There have been others over time; now, it's Theeeee J-Vise. I've checked them out, and they are nice, more expensive than my HMH Standards, and prettier, too, I guess, with colors and special woods, but just like my HMH, it holds a hook so you can tie a fly.

I think I'll just keep my HMH and save my money and my time. :)

He will never know it but that man taught me how to tie flies through his videos... I'm sure I'm one of the many.

I believe I have crossed some sort of line.... I have watched enough of his videos that I can understand everything he says now. I do enjoy watching him.

I believe I have crossed some sort of line.... I have watched enough of his videos that I can understand everything he says now. I do enjoy watching him.

Nay, mate. Tis only when ya stayart aspeakin' like 'im ... there be when ye crost the line.

I've tied his caddis pupa pattern, it was one of the first "non-beginner" flies I ever tied, still love watching his stuff and tying some of his patterns.

Nay, mate. Tis only when ya stayart aspeakin' like 'im ... there be when ye crost the line.

Aye!

[/quote

That was "Pirate speak", Mike. You don't know how to talk like a Geordie boy.

It's true though, I can understand him much better now too. I didn't know if it was me or if he had been coached on tuning down his broagh.

[/quote

That was "Pirate speak", Mike. You don't know how to talk like a Geordie boy.

It's true though, I can understand him much better now too. I didn't know if it was me or if he had been coached on tuning down his broagh.

I never was too good with accents.

He is the reason I tie my own flies. His videos are amongst the best. He also is a very helpful and approachable guy when he is tying at shows!!!!!! The river you see at the start of his videos is the river and very spot I fish! Hope to bump into sometime cause he is also a very good angler I hear!

I use Global Fly Fisher occasionally, not like our Forum, but today I was trying to find some ontact info and ran into this, all of Davie's videos in an easily accessable form:

http://globalflyfisher.com/video/more_by/Davie%2BMcPhail

Will, it would be a good idea to have this same type of access page available here on the forum, a great service and far easier accessabilitythan searching the net. Isn't that possible?

Oh yeah, there are 283 of these videos on that page as of now, don't know if that is continuously updated and an ongoing total, but it's certainly a start.

Ray

It's hard to search for tying videos and not find Davie. I've watched his videos for a few years now and like others on here, my productivity at work has diminished and I can understand what he is saying now. I used to turn the sound off because I didn't know what he was saying anyway. Once I started watching with the sound on, I started to understand him bit by bit.