Fly Tying
breambuster

Your Favorite Bluegill Pattern Swap

Darn BB, I'm liable to be the last one in on this swap. I'll beat deadline even if I have to make a substitution. I have been waiting patiently for a member to dress and ship a white hen soft hackle skin and he's about ready with it. I have tied a few of my flies with a silver dun hackle and they'll catch fish I'm sure but will wait for white hackle unless it just gets too close to deadline. I try to be early but definitely should make it.

Hang in there, Vic. You will make it. I may have to find out more about your getting a hen soft hackle from a member. Would you care to elaborate in a PM?

Take care

BB

I finished the popper dropper rigs. I suspend the dropper eight to twelve inches below the popper by tying the leader to the eye of the popper. I never gave the dropper fly a name. Its just a tail of mallard, black dubbed body with silver wire, and soft hackle collar (partridge) topped off with black glass seed bead. Went with neon yellow for the popper. This rig proved very productive this past season providing one of my most memorable moments of the year when two ten inch gills slammed the rig at the same time I was lucky enough to land both and hoping you all have the same good luck!

they went in the mail this morning!

We have 2 more sets of flies and poppers are the order of the day. That's a good thing because both 'gills and bass are suckers for a popper. We have some small poppers from Jolly Red and these things are SWEET! Then we also have the popper/dropper sets from Fshrmanms and I can't wait to try these out. Very nicely done, guys, and thanks for the extras.

Take care

BB

You should have had mine by now. It always worries me when things are slower than they should be. Since I'm here I'll add something when you get my flies. I had some very crappy white Mallard feather sets to make wings from so these are a long way from classic. I have a fly in there for you with green wings. If the whties were as good as the green feathers I had that's what they'd look like. I had such good luck with the basic White Miller years ago when I fished a lot more for 'gills that I didn't think the poor wings would hurt since I continued to catch them on the fly after wings had been chewed off and until the last of the materials gave up the ghost.

Vic, I have my flies from the January Swap Club, but not your flies for the Bluegill Swap. When did you mail them? I'll keep an eye out for them and let you know when they arrive. The last flies to come in where from Jolly Red and a couple of days later, from Fshrmanms.

Take care

BB

The good news for Vicrider is that your flies showed up in today's mail. White Millers and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I've never fished that pattern, but in the clear water of the lake where I fish, it just might be the ticket. Thanks, Vic.

And we also received some Bluegill Spiders from Flytire. This one is good to rock and roll! It ought to be a deadly pattern wherever Bluegills are found.

And thanks, guys, VERY MUCH for all the extras. Very generous, indeed.

Take care

BB

Way too busy here, Guys. Should have already posted, but Bassbuster's flies are here. Wait until you see these. They are a kind of hopper pattern with the legs and everything cut out of foam. Very neat job. Thanks Bassbuster, for the extras!

Take care

BB