Fly Tying
flytire

whats your worst fly fishing blooper?

Nothing exciting. I slipped on a rock once, on the way down I saved the rod, broke my wrist.

Figured the emergency room co-pay was cheaper than a new rod.

Not my story but a buddy's, he doesn't post ere so I'll tell it.

Last year, for reasons I can't remember he dropped his rod to the bottom of the lake, shallow, 10-15 feet. Strips down, goes in after it. After a couple of dives he couldn't find it. Came back three different times with a rope and grappling hook. Late one afternoon he's resolved that it's lost, and he's ready to go home, but he throws the hook one last time and pulled it up.

Alright one more, but nothing broke.

Last month in FL I was casting in the surf. This particular spot has the old A1A off the beach, at low tide it's 15 yards through knee/waist deep water and then you can stand on what's left of A1a in ankle-knee deep water, casting into 3-4 feet deep water. It's pretty nice.

So, I'm casting away, having a good time and a single dorsal fin surfaces 15 yards away. I won't admit whether or not I soiled my shorts, but when another dorsal surfaced.....aw geez...then I realized they were dolphins. For a few seconds I was pretty small in a big ocean.

I used to to a bit of sight casting from road bridges to cruising trout............until one day I caught a real beaut of a fish ...it danced and carried on like a pork chop.

I was wondering how I was going to land such a catch. Then it suddenly dawned on me that I could climb down the embankment which I might add was fairly steep.It was also covered in erosion resistant material in the form of wire netting. I managed to guide the 2.5 lb Brook trout to the bank side it was only just pinned lightly on the lip....in my excitement I started to run down the embankment ......Oh dear !!!! my foot got entangled in the said netting....I proceeded to tumble A over T to the bottom of the incline only to kick the trout in the head dislodging the hook and releasing the prize. I just laughed for about ten minutes....

Fortunately no bones broken, rod intact just dented pride.

Broke a rod in the tailgate. Made a beautiful clean cut.

Drove across the state only to discover that the rod tube I packed was empty.

Probably the worst was in Alaska. I had a box of special flies for the trip in the chest pocket of my waders. I went into an outhouse to take a leak. I undid the suspenders, flipped down the top of my waders and you guessed it, into the hole went the box. (Another reason to love zippered waders.)

I had the same thing happen to me but fortunately I had another box of flies with me...so I tossed them in too.

You didn't think I'd go down there for just one box of flies did you?

I was crossing Manzanita lake in my Tote-n-Flote (similar to a raft) with my rod in the back. When I got to my destination, I looked for my rod, but it was gone. It had dropped into the water. I tried to retrace the route I had taken and, unbelievably, about 50 feet away I saw the tip of my rod sticking 6 inches out of the water. I quickly rowed over to it and retrieved it. It was all intact. How lucky is that! If the rod had fallen into water only 6 inches deeper there's no way I could have found it.

fishing a popping bug for late afternoon bream I managed to bury the point of the hook in my left thumb I pulled and tugged to no avail the whole time wishing I had debarbed the hook! Next I tried pushing the hook on through so I could snip the barb off but the the body of the popper was too close so the hook would not go through!! tried the fishing line thing no go there too. so in my infinite wisdom I decided that since the thumb was becoming quite numb I would just go ahead and fish until dark. after I got home and the wife failed to pull it out with some pliers she promptly sent me to patient first. Felt pretty dumb when the doc told me it wouldn't have swelled as much if I hadn't left it in there for a few hours even dumber when he said what's this thing made of? "cork I replied" he promptly crushed and removed the popper body leaving plenty of hook to push it on through and snip it off. duh!!

Ok, now it's my turn.

I've so far not done any serious bloopers, but a few like driving across the country with intentions on fishing pike from my pontoon boat, only to discover that all the wires for conecting the frame to the pontoons were at home. Done the same with rods, reels, flies, waders and more.

But the good story, and why not to use lip grips is the story of my best fishing friend here in Denmark.

He was out pike fishing, and caught a good one. As always he had it in his lip grip for holding, while releasing the hook. Just when the hook got out of the pike, it flapped and he loSt hold of the gripper, the wrist band on the gripper broke,and fish was gone with gripper.

A week later him and I vent fishing the same pond, very windy and no fish made us decide on another location for fishing. While we were paddling back to shore in our belly boats, my friend vent to shore half ways back,to do what men do standing and women do sitting. Just when he zipped up, he saw something in the grass. It was his gripper with a pike skeleton attached. An odder had gotten an easy meal, an the pond lost one of the good fish...

Last year while fishing a small pond i had a good surprise from a little friend. Waiting patiently for a fish, all the sudden i saw a little muskrat . He was swimming straight for my line. Ive been in similar situations before and they normal see the line and either swim under it or change rout and go around. Well not this time. All of the sudden he grabbed my line and put it into his mouth. The only thing that i can think of is that he though it was a tasty reed that he was going to eat, the fly line was green. After grabbing the line he immediately dove. I quickly held my rod tight as i felt the tip starting to be pulled down. Thankfully the muskrat only pulled on the line for a few seconds and then realized his mistake and released it. I quickly reeled in and luckily he didn't do any damage to my line. It was a pretty wild experience, not a terribly exciting story but it gave me a good laugh.

Lucky for me i haven't broke any rods yet, or loose a fly box down an out house laugh.png

Ive turned up fishing with a spool but no real. Fished with the spool tucked in a pocket. In my younger days before I was old enough to drive, I've caught two buses for an hour and half traveling to realise I have no reel at all. Managed to catch by tying some line from the rod tip ring.

I have gone with just one fly on a quick trip and lost the fly first cast on that branch that's always just out of reach. So back home again. Lesson? Always take 3 flies.

not really bloopers but happenings

there is a place on the big horn river that is basically one great big whirlpool. throw your fly in there and it will usually disappear to the bottom and whirl away. most times a good sized rainbow will be brought up from the depths.

however one time a fishing buddy threw in his fly and it did its thing in the whirlpool and lo and behold up came a full fly fishing setup: rod, reel and fly. no trout. it was surmised that it had fallen out of a drift boat that was navigating the huge riffle that runs into the whirlpool.

another time on the big horn river, I had a good size rattlesnake drift on by and boy did that scare the shit out of me!! he just kept on going and scaring the other fishermen fishing the run!

that's my stories and I'm sticking to them! :) :)

I

'll spare you the tale but give you the quick lesson learned. Never -- no, NEVER -- cast a bluegill popper at a Water Moccasin!

Rocco

I

'll spare you the tale but give you the quick lesson learned. Never -- no, NEVER -- cast a bluegill popper at a Water Moccasin!

Rocco

Another lesson about snakes, learned from a friend (I did NOT do this, but he did). Never try to shoot a snake in your boat with a pistol. You'll put holes in the boat (he emptied a 9 round clip) and probably miss the snake (It calmly crawled out and swam away).

I

Rocco

Another lesson about snakes, learned from a friend (I did NOT do this, but he did). Never try to shoot a snake in your boat with a pistol. You'll put holes in the boat (he emptied a 9 round clip) and probably miss the snake (It calmly crawled out and swam away).

I HATE snakes! More than once I've sat down on a log in the stream to change flies, and found myself sitting next to a snake getting a tan. I now know J. C. isn't the only one who can walk on water.

I have never had any bloopers. The last time I tripped and fell in the water was a planned dip because it was so hot and needed to cool off.