Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Heavey nymphs

What nymphs do you like to use when your fishing deep, or in fast current? Im trying to find a select few nymphs to add to my boxes for those situations when your normal nymphs aren't getting down. Im thinking that a copper john with a tungsten head would work pretty good, but what are some others that would work good.

Thanks

Scuds are commonly used, but any bug that lives on the bottom will work. Put a weight on the very bottom of the line with a nymph 4"-6" above the weight. Put an emerger closer to the surface. Don't fish fast water, fish the slow water near the seam. That's where the fish are.

Try a Brook's Montana Stone

brooksmontanastone.jpg

Easy tie, Tied in the round which many feel is better in fast water. Sinks quickly and was designed by Charles Brooks for fishing fast, deep water.

You can get the recipe at:

http://rotaryflytying.com/component/sobipro/79-brooks_montana_stone?catid=&Itemid=152

A tungsten beadhead Copper J would be a good point fly to get down deep. rotary's suggestion of a brooks stone is a really good one if you have a good population of stonefly's around. Because there are lots of crayfish in my home river I like to use a small heavily weighted beadhead wooly bugger as a point fly or attach another fly to the bend of the hook.

I use a two fly rig. First a large Stonefly nymph weighted with a tungsten bead and large lead wire. It serves as a sinker and since most of the places I fish have Salmonflies and Golden Stones, it will often catch some fish. The second, smaller fly might match a local bug or just be a general searching pattern.

Where legal, split shot is an option.

"deep and "fast current" is all relative, and it depends on what you are talking about. If you're trying to cut to the bottom ten feet under a rapid, a copper john isn't going to help.

I'll typically fish a #6 rubber-leg stone with about 15 turns of .25 lead, and a big tungsten bead. This fly is super fast and easy to tie, and is one of my go-to's. It is also very effective in fast water. I also like a purple of yellow prince #10-12, again with some lead and a tungsten bead.