Fly Tying
joseph russell

CARP 2015 SWAP

Sorry, I've been busier than I expected lately, and have sort of pushed this off. Have about half done now. For sure I will get mine in the mail by this weekend.

Edit: Mine are in the mail now. I went with a clam fly. Interesting thing to imitate, to say the least, but carp eat 'em!

Edit: Mine are in the mail now. I went with a clam fly. Interesting thing to imitate, to say the least, but carp eat 'em!

On the half shell?

On the half shell?

Sorry, not sure exactly what you're asking. It's a fly I found on some random blog (I'm not sure of it's name but I'll look for it), but the guy on it caught quite a few carp on it.

Basically the fly doesn't have an actual shell made of foam or something. Instead a piece of furry foam cut in a long thin strip is wrapped down the body like hackle and picked out like dubbing. It also has a chenille tail sticking up from the back, and a pair of dumbbell eyes to get it down.

Of course, clam flies are best in bigger rivers or ponds that have them, but this fly can also work as a generic carp bottom fly, like the hybrid or something similar. Not a very realistic fly, but I think if lams are present carp will identify it as food.

Wow Carflyguy, you ruined that joke. I'm sure you've heard of oysters on the half shell and when we kids we used to break clams open and put the half shells on the fire grate until they turned all white and eat them with a bit of salt. Guess they weren't poisonous anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your fly tho since one of the lakes in our area is full of clams and when the waters get low the beach is just about solid clam shells, but they are very small. We used to get hand sized clams in WI but these here are barely dime sized shells.

Wow Carflyguy, you ruined that joke. I'm sure you've heard of oysters on the half shell and when we kids we used to break clams open and put the half shells on the fire grate until they turned all white and eat them with a bit of salt. Guess they weren't poisonous anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your fly tho since one of the lakes in our area is full of clams and when the waters get low the beach is just about solid clam shells, but they are very small. We used to get hand sized clams in WI but these here are barely dime sized shells.

Oh haha, my bad! I get it now! Sorry!

I've tied a few practice ones and so far so good. I have never fished for carp. From what I have been told they are a boney fish.