Fly Tying
Crackaig

"Let the Fish Critique Your Fly"

I don't think I have ever tied a perfect fly, and probably never will at my age. After about a year of tying, I have accumulated over 250 flies. I scan the net looking for patterns to try. Often I don't have all the specified materials, so I substitute. I tie at least 4 of each. So far I have about 25 patterns that consistently catch fish. There are about 35 patterns, so far, that have not been fished. Each week I try to add more.

When my wife and I go fishing, she will use the proven flies and I try the new ones. I try to give each one fair chance before I change. If one of the new flies gets hot, it goes on her line. A few of my files have been really good for us. I have sent some samples, along with a materials list, to a friend who owns a fly shop. He is always looking for warm water flies to add to the extensive line of trout flies he carries.

I have always let the fish tell me what they like. My camera skills, like my tying skills are a bit rough, so I don't post pics.

Mike

i found a pattern explaining what i mean.

post-52814-0-37994200-1423322666_thumb.jpg

i think it will provide you with all the information that you need.

if you have any questions, please p/m me.

Let us see what we learned.

I just created a new fly. I searched the internet, and saw nothing like it, so I am relatively certain it is NEW.

I am posting it on this thread to see what kind of critiques it gets. Please be honest.

Although it is new, it does have a certain emotional value to me. It reflects my feelings about ... some opinions.

It is an easy fly, consisting of only hook, thread and foam.

attachicon.gifFinger Crab 1.JPG

It is a work in progress, so I don't have an SBS or anything.

I call it Chell's Finger Crab.

attachicon.gifFinger Crab 2.JPG

It's a fly you can throw at the fish, when they refuse everything else you have.

That's one warning point for Mike. LOL I got to make some of those to pass around at wok. LOL

Mikechell knew I was in Florida for the week so he invited me to do some fishing. I asked are we fly fishing and he said no we would be slumming doing some plug fishing. He loaned me a nice outfit to use. I was looking through the huge box of lures and plugs trying to figure something that the fish would like. I tied on a Rapala and Mikechell goes let me see what you have. He said before we go out drag it across my bath tub.

Here is the video. Mikechell said the Rapala was a good choice. If he were a fish................

Good god!!! I started to watch the video, got as far as the part where he starts to pull and I had too many flash backs. Had to stop.. Treble hooks suck!!!! Still not as bad as a 2/0 Kahle with a HUGE barb. I know this the hard way. I love it when your stuck on one treble hook while the fish is on the other flopping like crazy. God I hate it when I get a hook buried all the way to the throat of the hook. AAAAHHHH!!!!!! You have to push it out the other side. Made my best friend dry heave doing that once. Was a BIG hook too. LOL... Truth is ,, His name was Mike too.. I swear. No joke, his name is Mike.

Silk ... I didn't do an SBS ... but here's a couple more pictures to show how I tie it.

Nice, Troutguy. See if I ever invite you to go fishing with me again.