Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Shovel

Blue Walleye, alive or just a legend

First off, I don't even know if this is in the right forum, but heres the question, do blue walleye's still exist, I read online they went extinct some 30 years ago, but then I was told that they had been caught up north, does anyone have any input on the subject.

They exist in the lake I fish in when I take my annual vacation at a lodge in Northern Ontario. Caught a couple last year. Usually few are caught during the week by the guests. Very distinct and neat looking fish. Just a color variation of the walleye, sort of like black squirrels. They do seem to be caught in certain sections of the lake system.

Wikipedia says they are indeed believed to be extinct. None have been seen since 1983. All that have been caught and thought to be blue walleye since, have been tested and found to be just color variants of the yellow walleye. No true blue walleyes have been verified. Gone the way of the carrier pigeon it seems.

That's what I thought, I had read rumors about blue walleye integration in the northern lakes but no hard evidence, like you both said, now theirs just a color variation.

I took a picture of an ivory billed woodpecker yesterday, but it was too blurry to post. Sorry. :-)