Fly Tying
Adam Saarinen

Cigarette BUTTS!!!

Mike, maybe that was from the arsenic that the tobacco farmers used to combat insects.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that nicotine is a neurotoxin that can be very deadly to certain organisms. Not to mention the other 3000 or so pyrolysis products that combustion of tobacco and paper forms that are trapped in the filter (except for the stuff that went into the smokers lungs).

Steve

Everyone seems to be forgetting that nicotine is a neurotoxin that can be very deadly to certain organisms. Not to mention the other 3000 or so pyrolysis products that combustion of tobacco and paper forms that are trapped in the filter (except for the stuff that went into the smokers lungs).

Steve

LOL I don't think anyone's forgetting that ... I think it's why some people smoke !!!

Especially those unhappy in their marriage ... with their jobs ... can't catch any fish ... etc. etc.

As I fish a lake/fishery most of the time there is bins. But from seeing a lot of people throw butts in water I've seen lot of fish rising to take them, this actually surprised me but I've tied several little flies to mimic a butt and have produced good results, its just a little pro from the con.

My wife is a master gardener and worked in a large plant nursery for many years. The most common pesticides coming onto the market are neonicocides (not certain on the spelling). They use components of tobacco to keep pests away from plants. Also I am a hobbyist beekeeper, many professional beekeepers believe that a big contributor to colony collapse disorder are these pesticides. When used as a systemic on plants they kill a lot of bees. I'm not sure about fish but bees don't do well on tobacco.

Has anyone noticed that when buying potting soil, it has little beads of styrofoam all through it? There's a reason for that. It helps "fluff up" the soil and gives plant roots of any and all sizes an easier path to growth and expansion, and this makes for healthier plants and trees and shrubs, etc. It's "political correctness" that has caused so many to look down their noses at smokers today, and the butts they leave behind. Funny thing is, though, that the smokers are likely actually DOING more for the woods and waters than those who complain and rant and rave. Yes, smoking is bad for the human body, but the "PC" attitude is even worse for the human soul. That's the view from here, and it's based on experience in BOTH worlds, so let the flames begin, 'cause I don't give a fig. It's True whether anyone agrees or not. Truth isn't a democratic quantity. It is what it is, and it never changes due to peoples' attitudes, beliefs, reasonings, nor anything else. If you smoke, crush the filters into the dirt so they'll get down into the soil quicker/better. It'll actually HELP the soil, but now that farming and REAL concern for the environment is so rare, people have forgotten very simple things like this. And we are NOT "aided" in that forgetting, either.

Interesting! Still gonna use my jar when i'm on the water, but i'm now maybe realising why my garden always looked like a massive jungle! :-)

It's "political correctness" that has caused so many to look down their noses at smokers today, and the butts they leave behind. Funny thing is, though, that the smokers are likely actually DOING more for the woods and waters than those who complain and rant and rave. Yes, smoking is bad for the human body, but the "PC" attitude is even worse for the human soul.

I get a big kick out of this. VERY FUNNY STUFF !!!

While I am NOT politically correct, in any form of the word ... PC thinking has nothing to do with the anti-smoking movement.

I, too, am a former smoker. I quit when the price went higher than I cared to pay. But I remember being a smoker, and making sure my family and friends knew it. I wasn't mean about it, but I did let them know I didn't like the constant, "You should quit" type comments.

Then I quit. Now, I can smell it in everything. If a smoker has been near the front door of a store in the past several minutes, I can tell.

If there is a smoker on the water upwind of me ... I can tell you when they are smoking.

My wife smokes ... while in the house, I rarely notice. When I unpack my suitcase in a hotel room, the odor wafts out. I can smell it on my clothes until the first time I do laundry.

It stinks. Most people who would like to see smoking go away ... do so because it stinks for everyone but the smoker. I believe, if most people smoked a (regular) pipe, fewer people would mind.

As for smokers helping the environment just by pushing filters into the dirt ... BWAAAAAA HA HA HA ... you believe that ???

Gee, I wonder how the "environment" survived all those millions of years before the first filtered cigarette was tossed ???

How did the trees ever survive without those fires started by cigarettes thrown from moving cars ???

It's so much more beautiful, now that there are butts everywhere. Everybody, use herbicides and kill the wild flowers, we have cigarette butts to look at now !!!

It sure is a good thing smokers come on the scene to save the environment !!!

Has anyone noticed that when buying potting soil, it has little beads of styrofoam all through it? There's a reason for that. It helps "fluff up" the soil and gives plant roots of any and all sizes an easier path to growth and expansion, and this makes for healthier plants and trees and shrubs, etc. It's "political correctness" that has caused so many to look down their noses at smokers today, and the butts they leave behind. Funny thing is, though, that the smokers are likely actually DOING more for the woods and waters than those who complain and rant and rave. Yes, smoking is bad for the human body, but the "PC" attitude is even worse for the human soul. That's the view from here, and it's based on experience in BOTH worlds, so let the flames begin, 'cause I don't give a fig. It's True whether anyone agrees or not. Truth isn't a democratic quantity. It is what it is, and it never changes due to peoples' attitudes, beliefs, reasonings, nor anything else. If you smoke, crush the filters into the dirt so they'll get down into the soil quicker/better. It'll actually HELP the soil, but now that farming and REAL concern for the environment is so rare, people have forgotten very simple things like this. And we are NOT "aided" in that forgetting, either.

I am about as anti PC as you can get, but your view is borderline comical. Cig butts are not the same as what is put into certain potting soils to make it a loomy soil for plant growth. The butt of a cigarette is the filter, the job of the filter is to absorb some of the chemicals and toxins. Putting that into the ground is not helping anything. Not to mention, by your reasoning I guess you think everyone should just bury everything that is foam or paper related? Yeah that'll work good.

It's not political correctness that causes people to look down their nose at smokers. I was a smoker for 15 yrs myself. It was not until I quite that I realized I was using the world around me as my personal ash tray. If someone wants to smoke that is entirely their decision, but it does not remove the responsibility of not littering.

I'm actually helping the economy by smoking! If i diddn't drink beer or smoke? I wouldn't need to go to work & would just live off the social benefits & drive around europe living in my van killing all the fish i cought to eat & sell to buy more licenses & making kids with wemon where ever i went & tax payers & social serveces would have to pick up the bill!

how times can change in such a very short time.

i just stopped smoking. just like that.

how did i give up a pack a day habit that i've had since i was 16? all it took was a simple change of outlook. instead of getting caught up in how hard it is to quit smoking, i focused on how easy it is to quit smoking.

the secret? Allen Carr's, "Easy Way To Stop Smoking". there are three options. you can either go to a seminar, read the book (hard/ebook copy), or watch a video. for those that are not concerned with copyright infringement copies, it can be found online for free as well. beg, borrow or steal this book, as it will be the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

it works. i might only be a week in, but the time that usually is the hardest, has been a piece of cake.

Stick with it artimus, you are right it will be the best decision you will ever make for your health. I am coming up on 4 yrs since I quite (21st of April 2011) and it's been the best choice I have ever made. My BP use to be about 140/100 with a pulse of around 110. I usually take my BP once a week now, just took it this morning and it was 101/76 with a pulse of 85. And I can't even remember the last time I woke up coughing like I use to do.

You'll have times the whole first year where you will think about smoking, but just get past the first few minutes of the cravings and you are home free.

Stick with it artimus, you are right it will be the best decision you will ever make for your health. I am coming up on 4 yrs since I quite (21st of April 2011) and it's been the best choice I have ever made. My BP use to be about 140/100 with a pulse of around 110. I usually take my BP once a week now, just took it this morning and it was 101/76 with a pulse of 85. And I can't even remember the last time I woke up coughing like I use to do.

awesome; that is great to hear. the true taste of food is what im looking forward to.

You'll have times the whole first year where you will think about smoking, but just get past the first few minutes of the cravings and you are home free.

i'm hopefully doubt it :) that is the beauty of this program. the actual physical crave/addiction is gone after 3 days. the change in thinking of what nicotine addiction is, and how to deal with it, is the key.

i was visiting with my son last night, and he smokes. i was able to thoroughly enjoy myself, without wanting a cigarette. a coffee, xbox controller, and a cigarette all used to go hand in hand for me. it was like my 'gaming triangle'. not anymore. this 'transformation' is nothing short of a miracle.

i think even that person that has quit and still struggles would benefit from the program.

Sorry to correct you Virgil, the little white bits in potting soil is called vermiculite. It isn't styrofoam or filter material. I have no complaint about anyone who wants to smoke, drink, partake, etc. As long as no one wants to take my vices away I won't advocate against another. Live and let live just don't hurt others or damage their lives. Someone has to pay for the health care of the rest of us now that the government has taken it over. Smoking pay for a great deal of the care of others. Please just don't leave a mess, we should all clean up after ourselves be it butts, mono, beer and soda containers or anything else.

Sorry, McLovin.

I had to look it up.

Vermiculite actually has a silvery or tan look. The white stuff in the potting soil is Perlite.

Perlite is another natural material. You are correct, though, in that it is NOT styrofoam.