Fly Tying
add147

Steaming your chenille...

I ran across a cheap Regal water boiler kind a like a electric tea pot at Goodwill a few days ago for $3.00. Anyway I read some where on line either here or on the internet that steaming your chenille before you tie with it will make it more fluffy and easier to tie. Well today I gave it a try and it most certainly makes a huge difference!!! I am sure that many of you already know this but I just wanted to share in case there is are some new folks that did not know.

That's good to know. I've heard steaming is good for feathers and hair but never thought it would work on chenille. I have multi-shaded chenille that looks matted.

I picked up an old teapot and took the whistler out of it, works great. Whenever I tie flies with the chenille body I'll steam them. I put them in a small screen strainer, make a couple of passes thru the steam. It brings the bodies and the feathers right into shape.

See if I got this right. add147 is talking of steaming BEFORE he ties. CSB1 is talking of steaming AFTER the flies are tied. Right?

I think I read it on flyanglersonline. they demonstrated steaming it before use. Partly to take the kinks out where it was wrapped around the card. (although I can't see how the kinks could possible matter once it was wrapped around a hook).

I've used a steam iron to steam feathers and it works fine. I don't touch them usually, but if I do (rarely) I use a wet paper towl on top. Not chenile, though. Never thought about that. I only use chenile on Wooly Buggers and everything about them is rough, so I don't worry about them looking great.

steaming chenille probably doesnt remove the kinks in the thread core but most likely awakens the fibers that were matted down by being wrapped around the card

probably doesnt make chenille easier to tie

steam is a good medium for refreshing dry fly hackles that have been matted down by living in the wrong style fly box

i had a peacock tail feather that had been bent in half numerous times to get it into a bag. it straightened right out during steaming. it sorta looked like a solar panel in space unfolding.

steam is a good medium for refreshing dry fly hackles that have been matted down by living in the wrong style fly box

.....and any natural hair wings, like deer, elk, etc., or any natural materials. Makes them look like new.