Fly Tying
yellafella

Beginner tying (some flies for the salt)... thoughts and feedback plea

Hi All,

Well it's been just under a month since starting the tying but thought I'd post up a few of the flies I've been working at (feedback welcomed - ** I've made some of my own notes too) -

My own little shrimp/crustacean tie (on 3 different hooks):

P5100074_zpsyc78cr2u.jpg

Gurglers (need to combine the carapace with the tail of the non-carapace one, perhaps stick with dubbing for less buoyancy underneath the body):

P5100085_zpsm4qiuhq8.jpgP5100078_zpskxuqm2rp.jpg

P5100075_zpsgklarmxp.jpg

Basic shrimp pattern (nailed a Giant Herring on it first outing):

GH3_zpsg84icrq2.jpg

GH1_zpsnuvyeero.jpg

Just wondering what fly patterns to go onto next (mainly targeting light salt) or likewise how to improve on some of these flies. As previous, comments, feedback etc welcomed.

Thanks all.

If you have only been tying for a month you seem to have it down pretty good I think. Great looking flies...Keep up the good work!!!

Really great! I especially like the shrimp clousers (first pic).

I'm no expert but the flies look good to me. You will need a version of a glass minnow and maybe a larger minnow as well. Some regular clousers too in various sizes, colors, and weights and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Very much enjoying the art of tying, imo much more satisfying when you nail a fish on one of your own too.

Glass minnow and some regular clousers look like the next fly project. Going to play with a gurglers a bit more too, pity it's winter but they don't seem to let up right on the surface where I live.

Go for some "surf candy" flies next. But if you're catching fish on those good looking flies, why tie anything different?