Fly Tying
Swamp Fly

Grand Junction, CO?

Anyone in Grand Junction Colorado? There is a chance I might need to move there in the next year or two. What kind of opportunities/fisheries might I expect there and within the immediate area (daytrip)? Nothing is set in stone but it's a very real possibility.

Southeast...The Gunnison

East: Colorado River, Roaring Fork and The Frying Pan

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Rivers+near+grand+Junction+CO/@39.085692,-108.5698355,9z

Probably more, but those I am familiar with when driving through Grand Junction...

PT/TB

There are some fishy looking lakes on Grand Mesa that would be worth researching.

You would have quick access to some of the best fishing in the country. Maybe not the best but far better than most states can offer. Grand Mesa is a fantastic collection of lakes with hundreds of miles of ATV trails to run them and camping all over. Brother lived near there and I would have retired there if lungs hadn't let me down.

My uncle has lived there for decades and when I spoke with him he said that there are 2 rivers near and in town, and 2 lakes within an hours drive that contain both rainbows and cut-throats.

I spend a lot of time in that area, and moving there this year as well. I teach a guide school based in Mesa which is about 40 minutes drive north east of Grand Junctuon. The Grand Mesa has many ( over 100) great still water fisheries. As mentioned you will also have access to the Gunnison and Colorado rivers. A bit more of a drive puts you on the Roaring Fork and Frying Pan. There are many other lesser known watersheds in the area as well. Countless opportunity within a 2 hour drive time

Sorry I missed this thread. I have lived in GJ all my 53 years, and love it. As stated above, there are many fishing opportunities near here. Not a lot of trout fishing in town, but a lot of warm water species.

45 minutes puts you on the Grand Mesa, and 100's of fishable lakes. Stop by Sportsmans Warehouse and purchase a brochure for a few bucks called Fishing the Grand Mesa. The Gunnison as it exits the Black Canyon is less than an hours drive away. GOOGLE "Pleasure Park Gunnison River".

Do a maps search and you will see that you are 4 hours away from the Green River in Utah and the San Juan in New Mexico.

Welcome to GJ.

Gunpowder, thanks for the info. Who knows I might take your class sometime. Though the earliest I might move is in a year and it could be closer to three.

Dubbn, sounds good. Are you familiar with the Grand Valley Anglers? I would be interested in joining a local group and I found them on online. Any other groups I might be interested in?

Dubbn, sounds good. Are you familiar with the Grand Valley Anglers? I would be interested in joining a local group and I found them on online. Any other groups I might be interested in?

Familiar yes, member no.