Fly Tying
JasonV

Stacking Colors

Fisherboy, yes I knew that, that was my caffeine deprived brain typing lol ! I'll fix it. Same principal anyway.

constantly breaking 150 denier GSP? Something ain't right. Maybe you got a spool from a bad lot of thread. Either that or the quality of the deer hair you're trying to use is poor.... Your hook should be flexing and bending before you break 150 GSP.

I think the op said he was doing fine now, unless I have missed a post stating otherwise.

I have broken 1 time since I loosened the bobbin considerably. It looked like it broke in the tube but not sure. When it breaks it "feels" like 30 individual strands breaking in rapid succession, it just kinda frays?. I was wondering at first if the bottom of the bobbin tube was nicking the thread and I am still not sure. I ran some fine thread in it and pulled it around the tube under tension to see if I could feel anything snagging and got nothing. Not sure if I could feel it but I tried regardless :) Thanks immensely for the help all. I will post pics of these poppers in the swap thread in a day or 2.

The first Rite Bobbin I owned had a burr inside the ceramic tube. Could barely sense it. Returned it to the shop for a replacement. I have the original Rite and the cermag for deer hair work. I agree that you should not be breaking gsp thread.

I have broken 1 time since I loosened the bobbin considerably. It looked like it broke in the tube but not sure. When it breaks it "feels" like 30 individual strands breaking in rapid succession, it just kinda frays?. I was wondering at first if the bottom of the bobbin tube was nicking the thread and I am still not sure. I ran some fine thread in it and pulled it around the tube under tension to see if I could feel anything snagging and got nothing. Not sure if I could feel it but I tried regardless smile.png Thanks immensely for the help all. I will post pics of these poppers in the swap thread in a day or 2.

First observation ... the thread breaks at the bobbin tip (top, closest to the fly) and the tension causes it to pull back into the tube. If there's a nick, it won't be in the "bottom" of the tube (spool end) but in the tip.

Second observation ... Checking for a chip or nick in the tip using a fine thread might not work. The tension you put on it when you're pulling on GSP might actually be flexing the tube and opening the fault.

Last observation ... If you keep getting that "fraying" sensation and breaking the thread (even infrequently) I'd get a new bobbin. I had the same problem, and replacing my original metal tube bobbin with a ceramic one cured it for me.