Fly Tying
Rocco

You gadget addicts

your plastic bumper on your car is painted and doesn't peel off if you push on it! use paints for plastic/vinyl

if the bottle has a brush cap why squeeze the bottle?

Following on from this I was thinking about the nozzles. A quick search found two options. These plastic nozzles. £4 ($6) for 20 and these blunt syringe needles £2.39 ($3.60) / 60. Either of these will fit onto the nozzle of the bottle my UV resins (Deer Creek Diamond resins) come in.

Cheers,

C.

I've used diabetic syringe needles for storing head cement and dispensing it. Or maybe it was superglue, can't remember. The glue lasted for about a week before it clogged up the needle. I still use one as a bodkin, works great.

I did consider that but didn't want the suspicion trying to purchase sharp needles brings. If you have access to sharps you can use them. With the nozzles one of those pins with the large plastic head could be used as a stopper.

Cheers,

C.

your plastic bumper on your car is painted and doesn't peel off if you push on it! use paints for plastic/vinyl

if the bottle has a brush cap why squeeze the bottle?

On the first statement, you don't bend the bumper like you do a plastic bottle. If you do get into a "fender bender" the paint does, indeed, crack.

On the question ... Are you trying to be obtuse, Flytire? The original post was about a set of bottles with an applicator tip, not a brush.

I did consider that but didn't want the suspicion trying to purchase sharp needles brings. If you have access to sharps you can use them. With the nozzles one of those pins with the large plastic head could be used as a stopper.

Cheers,

C.

I don't use diabetic needles, but here, you can get them at the drug store by asking. My pharmacist knows me too well to attach any kind of suspicion to getting them. With the spread of IV drug use, it's don't ask, and I got a package for free. They come about a dozen to a pack.

Great if you can get them. But for me not so easy. My, now ex, partner got herself properly hooked, not IV use fortunately, and almost killed me in the process. Now I remain squeaky clean in that regard. I can do without even the slightest hint of suspicion of that kind of thing.

Cheers,

C.

Ball inflation needles (football, basketball, etc.) are cheap and easily found. Wouldn't they work?

Inflation needles are retty big for a bodkin as I remember them. The potter's needle makes a great bodkin. Fact is, a bodkin is pretty long lasting. My only objection is they're kinda large for small flies.

I made some out of sewing needles and sections of a broken bamboo rod with rod wrapping thread for looks. They won't roll off your desk, either.

Ball inflation needles (football, basketball, etc.) are cheap and easily found. Wouldn't they work?

Inflation needles are retty big for a bodkin as I remember them.

Sorry ... I thought we were still talking about applying head cement from a squeeze bottle.

Yes Mike we are. Even so the ball inflating needles are a little on the large side. OK if you were coving something like a popper but a bit big for precise application on a fly head. The other thing, if memory serves, a ball needle is a male fitting on both ends.

Cheers,

C.

C.

I am not sure we're talking about the same thing.

These are ball inflation needles.

The one on the right is usable as is ... the rest would need to be cut down, obviously.

I thought the size would be pretty good, and you could probably fit a regular pin in it to keep the glue from setting in the tube.

Then again, I guess this is the same as the commercially available application bottles.

Those are not the same ones I'm familiar with Mike. The ones I'm used to have a male threaded section at one end and the needle at the other. You'd have to seriously modify both the bottle top and needle to make them fit, and not have a ridge inside. This is the kind I'm used to seeing.

post-43582-0-50069900-1435276811_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

C.

If you want to use hypodermic needles for applying head cement, go to a farmer's supply store (Rural King and Tractor Supply are examples), in the vet supplies you can find syringes and needles for vaccinating animals. Since these are not for human use, they are not regulated. I still think I would file or cut off the sharp point off the needle, because I am kind of clumsy at times.

No Jolly Red, all fly tiers should have adult supervision when using anything sharp / hot!

Cheers,

C.