Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Galdrin

Galdrins creations

turkey feathers and krystal flash

there's gotta be a pattern just waiting to happen

i can see a pheasant tail style nymph except using the turkey as the tail, body and wing case. rib the body with a strand or two of the black krystal floss. use the hares ear dubbing you already have for the thorax

be creative

I'm playing around with whatever I find in my box of feathers and stuff. Today the result was a Mickey Finn streamer on #10 streamer hook. I thought working with the bucktail was a challenge. I think I got the hairs right in the end, more or less, but totally failed on the head. I'll need to search the internet for helpfull tips on tying this kind of hairwings before I try again.

WP_20150830_003_zpsda6nser6.jpg

Next I'll try a dryfly that I've been looking at for a while. I haven't found to much info on the internet and the only Youtube movie I found was of a variant while I want to make a more original one. Problem is that it calls for Mallard female flank and I think I have a bag of that but the bag has lost it's label. Is this Mallard female flank, and if not, what could it be?

WP_20150830_004_zpsl7te42we.jpg

cant really see through the bag with the light reflecting on it but the feathers i do see could be hen mallard feathers

heres some mallard flank

Fly%20Photos%20023.jpg

I have those feather to, but thats Mallard drake flank or? I need a few mallard hen flank feather, but I think the once in the bag are mallard after some more googeling. Here is a better picture on a few of the feathers from the bag.

WP_20150830_005_zpskeaiu7v6.jpg

I found bags of various feathers and other materials when I dusted off my old tying stuff too, and wondered what in the hell I was tying with those bags of goodies. The answer is who knows, but that looks like a challenge with those materials....maybe a Turkey Feather Flash Nymph???? Kidding, but your practicing looks awesome! Keep it up, and when you send the wife shopping, have her pick you up a coffee bean grinder, small, cheap, and great for dubbing....

Body of hares ear on #12 hook, rib of yellow tying silk, tiny tail of a few black cock hackles, wing of mallard hen flank (I think atleast) and a hackle of ginger-ish cock hackle. I lost it at the end and the wing fel down on the side but othervise I think I got close to a nice fly on my first try. New try tomorrow! The pictures should atleast give an idea of what I'm trying to do.​

WP_20150830_007_zpsymig7qkx.jpg

WP_20150830_008_zpswqxgain4.jpg

That's nice. Looks like a very effective pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing the fish that fly attracts.

I have no idea what fish it's for as I'm not fishing myself :) But the pattern is called Europea 12 and is supposed to imitate a sedge fly.

No new flies but I've managed to source all the materials needed to make my own cobblers wax, not the dark version but the more amber colored version. So time to start cooking :)

WP_20150903_002_zpsbz0gxy0a.jpg

I made some. The wax and the rosin don't melt together and don't mix well. What I ended up with was some really nice wax with some rosin that's sticky but not soft, and in the bottom of the can a gob that was really stiff. Mostly, I think it's rosin. Also, I used Ballistol and olive oil to soften it up. Why Ballistol, I don't know, I was winging it. I bought five screw containers from Ebay and filled them up.

I like my wax better than the commercial stuff, but I don't think it would do for touch dubbing. I have tried it yet. Very little build up on the thread. Good for tightening up a finish and great for creating sticky twisting fingers.

My wax actually melted and mixed really well. No lumps and it's "waxy" in room temperature, but if I hold it in my hand it becomes sticky. I'll try to bind a few flies with it tonight but so far I think it came out really well.

Trying my new wax while tying a Europea 12. The fly is better than last time and I now know that I won't be using bought wax for quite a while smile.png

WP_20150904_005_zpsdfrtscs7.jpg

Edit: after looking at other dry flies I see that my hackle looks a bit long. It's way to long for a dry, isn't it?

My wax actually melted and mixed really well. No lumps and it's "waxy" in room temperature, but if I hold it in my hand it becomes sticky. I'll try to bind a few flies with it tonight but so far I think it came out really well.

I made some more today. I melted the wax first and then added rosin from a rosin bag that's ground really thin. It mixed just fine, but in all truth, I can't saw it's much (if any) better than the Wapsi stuff I have. A little harder, maybe. Still, something to do.

After trying out a few other materials I finally managed to make this fly that I'm quite pleased with for the moment. Short tail of a few barbs from a blue dun hackle. Dubbed natural hare body ribbed with yellow tying thread. Wing of mallard hen and a brown cock hackle.

WP_20150906_001_zpsbmvbc522.jpg

Stupid question but how do I make a Mikey Finn streamer without blending the yellow/red/yellow part of the bucktail? As soon as I start securing the bunches of bucktail to the hook it starts spreading and covers all.