Fly Tying
Nick Williams

Fly Tying Storage

Hey guys, planning on building a tying desk, but I'm looking into storage options on the desk. Things like flash storage, tool storage, spool storage, etc. Just curious what some of you are doing/using, picures would be awesome, and also, what have you tried that DIDN'T work. Currently I'm using tote drawer systems, and while it worked for a couple years I'm getting to the point where I need more storage/more organization.

Thanks!

Thanks Rolf. I've been there, unfortunately I don't necessarily need to see whole benches. I'm looking specifically for the storage options and asking questions to those that post. Seeing pictures could work, but it takes the dialog out of the process.

Can't recommend any specific containers, but have you already accumulated a lot of materials or are you just starting to accumulate? Reason I'm asking is that you need to make provision for growth. Being a scientist, I'm compelled to put things into categories, sub-categories, sub-sub-categories, etc. For example, I'd separate my stuff into feathers, furs, synthetic fibers, foam, etc. Then feathers would be broken into hackles, marabous, etc., etc. Having said that, if you use a cabinet, for example, with a fixed number of compartments, eventually you'll have more sub-items than you have compartments. I tend to favor the guys who have adopted plastic trays that can be stacked, or better yet, attached to each other.

I've not accumulated much yet, but already I find my shoe box method can't keep up with the different types of materials I have.

You mean you bought your storage items before you started buying material?

but the question is: are your storage containers an unruly mob, or an organized society?

You mean you bought your storage items before you started buying material?

Not directly, but I haven't bought a storage container, yet. So far, I've had containers handily empty when I needed one.

You somehow knew all those empty snuff cans would some day be useful. Right??

I use ziplock bags and a drawer, i keep my tools and chemicals in plastic containers on my tying desk. Recently stocked upp on bucktail and craftfur, and i think i'll get a large container that i'll stash under my desk, since my drawer is full.

i have a roll top desk and the few drawers up top were not enough so i took them out and bought stackable plastic drawers from walmart that fit in that space so now i have like 30 drawers instead of 5.

See what I mean about the stuff growing? It's like you see a pretty flower, so you dig it up and transplant it in your yard, and it takes over the whole yard.

You somehow knew all those empty snuff cans would some day be useful. Right??

Oh! Oops! I mis-spoke earlier. I DID buy some containers. I completely forgot about last winter. But I didn't buy them for storage at home. And actually, I would've bought them even if it wasn't for fly tying stuff. They are great little sample containers for other hobbies of mine.

I was on the road, and tying flies up in Chicago. The Dollar Tree had some small, clear, plastic lidded cups that worked perfectly for some of the hooks and beads I had with me. I had them with me in ziplocks, and these little containers just looked too good to pass up. I really like Dollar Tree for little surprise items.