Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smitty53

hook size to fly size

I'm a beginner tyer, and would love to have a side by side chart of a hook size to a fly size. Nothing fancy, something simple. Case in point, if I buy a size 20 fly, it's not the same size as the hook size. So where's the chart?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Ed

A size 20 fly? DId I miss something? I never heard of fly sizes... just hook sizes.

At any rate what I'd suggest is that you go through the database, or youtubes, Google images, etc., and pick out flies you are interested in. Look to see if they specify hook type and size (usually they do). You can tell from the picture if the total length of the fly is, say, twice the length of the hook, etc. That's all you need to know from my humble POV.

Hey Ed...I think I know where you're coming from [maybe not]. I don't believe I've ever seen a chart like you describe. But I can remember thinking:"Why don't they just show me the best way to do this? Why all the different hooks, materials, methods, etc. to do the same fly?"

Flafly's advice is sound...it's general, but sound. YOU will have to pick a recipe to tie say, a wooly bugger, and try it. And then try a different way after you learn. It's frustrating and takes alot of time before you really get a feel for what you think is best. This is why true experts seem to all do things a bit differently [i think].

So, have a look [like Flafly suggests] and get started on what you like and looks manageable. Man, I'm sorry, but it takes time and study...and lots of practice to know how it will turn out. Best of luck...keep tyin' and Cheers, Ed

collect some insects and measure them or google for insect sizes

picture_3101_large.jpg

charts? never seen one

fly pattern recipes usually provide hook sizes for a given insect

If you go to, say, BPS' fly shop and peruse their flies ... you'll see all types and sizes of flies for sale.

As far as I know, if it says it's a size 20 PT Nymph, then that IS the hook size.

You might see or have hooks that don't seem to be the same size, but the size listed is the size of the hook, not the fly.

The fly size is the hook size,

but:

You can tie a small fly on a big hook. Using various techniques, you can tie a big fly on a small hook.

There is as much art as science in fly tying. You can stick to explicit instructions or you can modify your methodology to suit you....

Jimi Hendrix played guitar all WRONG, backwards and upside down, but apparently it worked for him (for a while anyways....)

I have seen such a chart. Let me look through my reference books. But such a chart is considerably limited by the variation between hook styles and manufacturer standards. A good rule of thumb is to pick a hook with a shank length equal to that of the body of the insect represented.

Is this of any use to you?

post-12311-0-44254600-1443616384_thumb.jpg

If you are using different hooks I think most hook manufacturers supply hook dimension tables (mass, shank length, gap, wire diameter, etc) which you can find online.

Personally- Once I have chosen the hook style/brand I intend to use I will measure the shank length to determine what size I need.

Not all hooks are created equally. If a fly is tied on a size 10 TMC 5263, it will be a lot bigger than a fly tied on a size 10 TMC 2488. Sizes also vary greatly from brand to brand. Some people are very bothered by this, but it's not a big deal at all... Just find which hooks you have that match the bugs that you want to tie.

Rockworm... I have seen that chart somewhere. But the "insect size" isn't a size 18 fly... it's an 18mm fly. Flytire is right. Especially since the size of various insect larvae vary from one state to another, and one species to another. It's better to match the hook to the size of the insects in the waters you're fishing, than to some insect in another part of the world.

In Florida we have lots of dragonfly naiads. Some are short and squat, others are long and thin... depends on the species.

I'm a beginner tyer, and would love to have a side by side chart of a hook size to a fly size. Nothing fancy, something simple. Case in point, if I buy a size 20 fly, it's not the same size as the hook size. So where's the chart?

Ed

Like flytire said, measure yer' bugs or search out a Hatch Chart for the waters that are to be fished...like this one for the bugs around YNP:

ca385342-5661-48ec-8f2c-571435af8b53_zps

They will provide a reference point for the insects that one wants to imitate. Then learn about hook shapes and sizes and how they are utilized. This provides some good information:

http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Emergers-A-Complete-Guide/dp/1571883061

"Look Inside" and check pg. # .21...

If you live in the West, this is also a good source book that will provide the sizes of Western Mayflies in mm :

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Mayfly-Hatches-Rick-Hafele/dp/1571883045

...and remember, Adult Caddis Flies should always be sized by holding one of the critters upside-down, in the hand, and checking the abdomen & thorax length...blink.png

Here are two excellent sites for expanding one's knowledge about bugs and what hooks to use to imitate them:

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/cgi-bin/home

http://www.troutnut.com

PT/TB

Ed

Actually if you buy a size 20 fly it only MAY not be the same as the hook size. There is considerable variance among hook manufacturers and many patterns use extra short or extra long hooks depending on the originator's preference. As a beginner, this really is not something you should spend too much time on. When starting out, you should focus on finding a brand you like/can afford, and using your own judgement to match the hatches in your area. As a rule, a standard length dry fly hook, a 1XL nymph hook, and a 3XL streamer hook is all you will really need (for trout fishing anyway) and you can use those to match the size of the flies in the fly shop bins. You only need to be close, not exact. Later you may want to add some 2XS "scud" hooks or the like, but start simple and build up. In case no one has warned you, the most dangerous aspect of fly tying is the search for the "right" hook, and you really should resist the urge or you will end up like many of us with more hooks than we will ever use...

As has been said, when you buy a fly that says size 20 from a fly shop, that is the hook size. Also remember that the hook size is a measurement of the hook GAP not the length. A given size hook can be made in many different shank lengths. Curved shank hooks will sometimes be available as well. While not all the different possible hook shank lengths will be made in all the different hook sizes, any given size will usually have several options.

Typically hooks for most mayfly and caddis fly adults will be a standard length. Some larger mayflies my be tied on 2 extra long hooks.

Dry fly hooks for stone flies, grasshoppers, damsel and dragon flies are often done on 3 to 4 extra long shanks.

Nymphs for mayflies and caddis flies are usually done on 1 to 2 extra long hooks.

Nymphs for stone flies, crane fly larvae, damsel and dragon flies are usually done on 3 to 4 extra long shanks.

Soft hackle patterns are either on standard length or sometimes 1 extra short hooks.

Traditional wet flies are usually done on standard length hooks.

Midge larvae, and other nymphs and larvae are often done on the so called 'scud' hooks, which have a continuous bend or cruve in the shank.

Woolly buggers, and other leaches are most often tied on 3 or 4 extra long hooks.

Streamer patterns will usually be tied on hooks from 3 to 10 extra long hooks, with a 4XL being the most common.