Fly Tying
retrocarp

If you could design and make a vise / vice what would it look like?

OK, I'll play. Here are some I made. The silver one is the best. Abel design with scaled down Griffin Mongoose jaws. Absolutely no hook slips in this vise. I love it. One is a cam jaw Law style, and the one with the solid walnut base is a 3/4 scale Law. I still do most my tying on the silver one. Last but not least, a decked out Nor- Vise. I've made dubbing brushes on the Nor-Vise , but have never tied an entire fly on it yet. But that's why I made it. A fancy dubbing brush maker.

EPIC work

OK, I'll play. Here are some I made. The silver one is the best. Abel design with scaled down Griffin Mongoose jaws. Absolutely no hook slips in this vise. I love it. One is a cam jaw Law style, and the one with the solid walnut base is a 3/4 scale Law. I still do most my tying on the silver one. Last but not least, a decked out Nor- Vise. I've made dubbing brushes on the Nor-Vise , but have never tied an entire fly on it yet. But that's why I made it. A fancy dubbing brush maker.

EPIC work

Thank you. Your looking at a ton of hours in labor. NONE of these vises were done on CNC machines. Not one tiny part. All regular mill and lathe. A lot of crank turning.

I've gone through several vises in last few years and have come full ciricle back to the HMH Standard with the straight arm and jaw. The thing I would do if designing my own vise is take this basic design, put the arm which can rotated up to 45% or laid down straight on a cam lever to set quickly. I would put an arm for rotation on if for the few times I want to do that. I'd make power jaws and midge jaw interchangeable with a simple cam lever so it can be done in literally seconds. If I had those touches I'd never have reason to grab my Renzetti Traveler for midges or Peak for monster hooks.

Very simply, have been in the engineering field in both mechanical and civil capatities (as a tech, not engineer) , I have bought or owned very few things in my life that I didn't look at and instantly see how it could have been done better. Ever that law vise as nice as it looks I tell right away the star wheel adjustment sticking up above the arm would piss me off and I'd want a knurled knob instead of the big star wheel. That belongs on a salt water reel, not a vise.

By the way, if anyone wonders what the difference is between a mechanical engineer and a civil engineer, the mechanical engineer designs the weapons, the civil engineer designs the targets.

I designed a rotary vise about five years ago with a motor. It was for a college class I was taking. Just never had the time to get it made. Maybe one of these days.

I designed a rotary vise about five years ago with a motor. It was for a college class I was taking. Just never had the time to get it made. Maybe one of these days.

It's been done. There was a similar thread a while back, and several pictures of hand crank and motorized vises.

these are all crazy. If i had a preference to make one I'd probably have the jaws longer and more narrow as well as make all bends on the stand position-able to any desired angle. Taller and heavier would be a necessity.