Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sammothner

High viz parachute post

I use Mcflyfoam on top of the elk hair wing for a high viz Elk hair caddis, also use it on flying ants for great visibility. I have not used it for a post. It does not absorb water as far as I can tell. I like it a lot, it really compresses down at the tie in point.

Bob

I use antron or turkey flat feathers. One of the best pieces of advise I ever got was to keep the post white and always carry a few permanent markers in your vest or pack. If I'm in challenging light, I will simply chose a color that will contrast and color the post right there riverside. Using this method you are always prepared for any type of lighting situation. Hope this helps.

Doesn't the McFly foam soak up water and sink the fly?

Maybe it avoids the worst of it due to being on top of the fly, or takes floatant extremely well, but I know the egg pattern's I've tied with it wick water readily.

For me, in order of fishing preference:

1. Calf Body hair (but it's short and can be a pain in the rear to tie with)

2: Poly Yarn (but it can be bulky, and generally isn't suitable for flies below a #14-16)

3. Para-post (but it's flimsy for wrapping hackle around, also doesn't compress too much)

4. Turkey flats (a bit easier to tie in than calf, but less visible and more flimsy)

The para post stiffens if you lay a good thread base on it. Some people use a gallows tool, I just lay a thread base and leave it a little long so I can grip it while I wrap my hackle and it stays pretty stiff. Here's a little midge pattern I did with it in a size 20.

DSC_0048_zpswhrbttud.jpg

You hit it with any sort of adhesive?

I put a small thread base on just about all parachute posts, and while it definitely helps with the poly yarn (so it follows that it'd be roughly as much of a help on para post), with turkey flats it basically goes from "noodly post of feather fibers" to "noodly post of feather fibers inside thread".

Usually when I wrap the hackle, I don't support the top of the post at all, maybe a bit of support on the top would help...

You hit it with any sort of adhesive?

I put a small thread base on just about all parachute posts, and while it definitely helps with the poly yarn (so it follows that it'd be roughly as much of a help on para post), with turkey flats it basically goes from "noodly post of feather fibers" to "noodly post of feather fibers inside thread".

Usually when I wrap the hackle, I don't support the top of the post at all, maybe a bit of support on the top would help...

No adhesive. Supporting the top of the post while wrapping may solve your issue.

I'll certainly give it a shot.

Not exactly headache inducing now, just part of the challenges that come with tying the little bugs...but if there's an improvement to be made, I'm definitely good with things getting easier.

Hey if it works Dave why change! I have tied a lot of parachutes with Antron and I can't recall ever being frustrated that my flies wouldn't float right

1hook, I know what you mean and the fish haven't noticed. I had been using antron on my midge pupa patterns for a long time when I decided to try it for parachute posts and even upright wings, as I said 20 years or more ago. I never looked back LOL ! Oh it's not all I use but often it is what I use. My white is getting low which is what I use most and exclusively on my midges ( wet). But it wouldn't hurt to ad Z-Lon I guess and see what it's about. I really like the look of the Antron though.